• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radio/switches no longer work - Blown Fuse? No ground?

Blk92XJguy

NAXJA Forum User
Went and replaced my gauge bulbs to LEDs, and in the process blew the fuse. I swapped it out and powered the LEDs on and they work fine now. Well something else happened to where now my radio and my aux fan/light switches don't power on. I tried a new radio fuse (back when I thought it was just the radio), but then found out nothing turns on. The AC/Heat lights up though. Is this as simple as checking the fuses? I couldn't do it tonight, I was at a buddy's and I felt like I was overstaying my welcome at his place. This also happened right before we did my headlight upgrade, just in case that has anything to do with it, although this happened before we did it.

Checked my fuses and no luck. I only came across a blown aux fuse, which only turned on my low washer light.

There's an add a fuse setup that I don't recall unplugging recently, but it could have fallen out. It appears it's hooked up to my switch that powers my electric fan. Although I don't know why my radio won't work either..

Here's the fuse, it has a 10 and a 15:
http://i.imgur.com/f7KYWBQ.jpg

And here's the panel if that helps:
http://i.imgur.com/gLWKVuM.jpg?1

Year...specs?

My apologies. It's a 92, and as far as specs go.. I'm not too sure what info you need. I hate to have you browse this, but here's my build thread from CF: http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/dd-offroad-92-build-160344/

I bought it from a guy who put some work into it. He did all the wiring and added a JVC headunit as well as a sub and amp in the back. The wiring under the dash is a little messy, and I don't quite know where to begin. The radio and switches stopped working after doing the LED swap and blowing a fuse (replaced it) when adjusting them. I was hoping I blew another fuse that routes the radio and switches, but I didn't find anything when I checked. Perhaps it's a grounding issue? Someone told me to check the ground behind the radio, although would that affect my electric fan switch?

Thanks

Post the year of the cherokee, and a quick question, do the switches on your column work with auxilary and/or when the engine is running?

Year...specs?

It's a 92. And as far as specs go.. I'm not sure what to mention. I hate to have you go through a thread, but this is my build thread on CF http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/dd-offroad-92-build-160344/

Is this an odd issue? It happened at a rather odd time. I originally thought it was fuse related, but apparently not? I guess it could be an issue of grounding. Just trying to think what these are all tied to, since I doubt the radio and switches are separate issues.

Post the year of the cherokee, and a quick question, do the switches on your column work with auxilary and/or when the engine is running?

It's a 92. And I have two switches, one is for an electric fan in my bay, and the other is for some LED lights in my markers/tails (previous owner installed them), I'm pretty sure the LEDs would turn on while not running, but I know for sure the fan did. Since the previous owner made it to where you could turn the fan on while not running, in case you were running hot while on the trails, you could cool off while not running.

Cheers

Ignition switch and the wires at the switch may be bad.

Mine did the same... I cant remember what fuse it was but I belive it's the one that says gauges or something like that.

I think that one was fine, however I have a new box of fuses, so I'll just replace it.

Thanks

Ignition switch and the wires at the switch may be bad.

I'll definitely look into it. Could blowing the gauge cluster fuse have triggered this or something? It sounds plausible, but I'm wondering how it might have happened.

Cheers

The older jeeps are notorious for loose, overheated, corroded wire connections as they aged, and overloaded the undersized wires AMC/Jeep/Chrysler used with too much current, and the ignition switches and head light switches and HVAC blower switches go bad as well as the bulk e-connectors melting and the wires corroding into a real mess. Most of the high power loads go through the ignition switch, so when a head light switch or head light wiring, HVAC blower motor-resistor pack on the speed control etc, gets hot, looses good contact, corrodes...the current goes up and they overheat and damage each other. They are notorious for this.

Hmm.. Sounds plausible. I'll definitely check it out to see if it helps. I'm going to check it out this weekend and I want to go in and have a list of things to check just to hopefully get this issue fixed.

Cheers

So I plugged the Add a Fuse in that was dangling around, it has a 10a and 15a in it. It's connected to my electric fan. So I plugged it into my radio fuse slot, and it worked. However, my radio still doesn't work. It had a fresh 15a fuse in the slot, and the fuse on the radio itself is fine too.

Any ideas..?

So I plugged the Add a Fuse in that was dangling around, it has a 10a and 15a in it. It's connected to my electric fan. So I plugged it into my radio fuse slot, and it worked. However, my radio still doesn't work. It had a fresh 15a fuse in the slot, and the fuse on the radio itself is fine too.

Any ideas..?

I have no idea what you did, or said you did there? Sorry.

Sorry, I have this issue on a few other forums and it's hard keeping them all updated.

Back when I was checking each fuse, I noticed this hanging, it must have became unplugged when I was changing the gauge cluster or something: http://i.imgur.com/f7KYWBQ.jpg

I followed it up and it was connected to my fan switch that the previous owner installed. I plugged that double fuse setup into the radio slot on the fuse panel, since the radio isn't working, and the fan turned on finally. Now my radio still won't turn on. I checked the fuse on the back of the radio and it was fine. I'm not sure if the previous owner set up the wires differently or something, since this is an odd problem that I can't fix.

I couldn't fry a radio without having blown any fuses, right?

Back