• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Collector Touching Bellhousing...Why?

TheTransporter

NAXJA Forum User
i was under my 2000 cherokee the other day when i noticed that the dual downpipe collector is touching the bellhousing on my AW4...

the question is why? i also had a VERY hard time getting my crossmember back on when i did the SYE on my transfer case..i had to use the jack that comes in the vehicle to push the engine and tranny and case back to the passengers side enough to get the cross member to fit.

its always been in the back of my mind and now id like to get it fixed.

what do u guys think? motor mounts? screwed frame rails?

thanks for any light you guys can give!

Bad exh hangars.
fix them, then loosten the collector bolts, use a ratche strap to move the dowpipe away.from the block, then retighten the collector bolts

It sounds like worn out motor mounts. Might as well replace the transmission mount at the same time.

Be sure your ex. maifold is not tweaked/bent/cracked...or at least very loose at the donut...it shouldn't be pointing that way. If you don't already have a flex section in the exhaust pipe, consider putting one in where the pipe crosses under the engine. An exhaust shop shouldn't charge more than $100 for putting one in the right way. If you can cut and weld...the part costs about $30. If you can cut...but not weld, you can use clamps. It will alow your exhaust to give a little if you're out rattling around.

Ford%20EPI%20Diesel%20Exhaust%20Flex.jpg

Other than that, I'd have to agree with Alexia on the 3 mounts.

Last edited:
Are you sure you got the cross member back in right, i.e. not reversed left & right?

I also had a VERY hard time getting my crossmember back on when i did the SYE on my transfer case..i had to use the jack that comes in the vehicle to push the engine and tranny and case back to the passengers side enough to get the cross member to fit.

!

I didn't read this part

The crossmember should go straight up into the mounts unless you...

... got the cross member back in right, i.e. not reversed left & right?

This could be an issue.

When I swapped the tranny and t-case I just bolted the cross meber right back up...it was the easiest part.

it wont just bolt up....i have to reef the crap out of it to get it to mount up...definitally not the easiest part.

the exhaust mani is a brand new SS one.

not sure who to proceed. should i look at motor mounts? if so how do i check them?

I'd start with a flashlight.

If they are stock motor mounts, look for warps, rotting, cracks in the rubber. Even a broken/bent/missing bracket bolt if it's as bad as you say. Tranny mount will appear squashed or misshaped if it's bad.

the exhaust mani is a brand new SS one.

Maybe it is defective or the wrong one?

I am having a hard time seeing how this can happen any other way that the pipe being bent or the manifold defective. I don't see mounts causing this at all. IN fact, unless the engine to tranny bolts and flex plate bolts at mostly all busted, I just don't see it.

hmmm i know my transmission mount is fubared but when i looked at it, it doesnt seem like it could be the problem....i could always try a new one cause it is warped...

any other thoughts? i can grab a picture of it if required its sitting 20 feet from where i am typing this.

I'm with EcoMike. The engine and transmission bell housing are in a fixed position relative to each other when the transmission is bolted to the engine. Loose or broken motor mounts or transmission mounts will change the relationship between the engine/transmission/transfer case and the body, but those components are all bolted together...cannot change relative position to each other.

i did mess up the hanger by the transmission. im pretty sure i bent it back and thought it was good.

i may take it to an offroad shop in town and get them to take a look at it and give me a better idea if i cant find anything myself...

if anyone has any more ideas please send them my way!

Back