• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for advice on semi local Fishing and camping locations

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have yet to catch any fish while fishing with my son, anywhere wild. We have had to goto the local pay to fish places where you are an idiot if you dont leave with a catch. He liked that but not the same thing.

We have a great lease at a rv camp grounds up above Beaumont, below Idlewild, that has a decent pond that even there its been no luck. Mixed with BB lake, arrowhead lake, and a few lakes on the way up to Idlewild. I know its not my skills so much as just horrible locations.

We have a nice 33ft travel trailer and would like to find a place to go, thats not much further then say 200 miles, that has a lake/pond/river, that we can camp and fish and have fun at. I know some of you here are into the fishing and hoping to get some good locations.

I was recommended to Diamond Valley lake, and I am sure we will take a day trip there (near Hemet), its not RV/Camp friendly.

All recommendations are appreciated.

lake morena? great wheeling there too (corral canyon). dont know if you can fish there though

vail lake? the resort is rv friendly and they have tons of crap for kids to do, mini golf, fishing, swimming (pool and lake), i think they were planning on putting in a bmx track too. it's in Temecula

I know you said no further than 200 miles... But if you are able to take a week or so off I highly recomend this place.

I spent a week there last year and am going back in August/September. Great weather and awesome fishing, plenty of wild life, hiking, ect..

http://www.monovillage.com/

Tuttle Creek in Lone Pine.

It's just a tad over 200 miles away.

Plenty of RV parking right next to the creek.

The creek isn't real big, 2'-3' wide in some spots 6'-8' in others and maybe 3'-4' deep at the most. Which makes it kid friendly, you won't have to worry about them getting swept away if they fall in.

But I can just about guarantee you will catch limits everyday. My daughter was 4 the first time she went and she caught 3 trout the 1st day.

I have never seen any more than a dozen rigs there on a weekend.

And it's near the base of Mt. Whitney. There is an Ashram up above if you don't mind an hour hike uphill...

http://thecreeksideangler.blogspot.com/2010/03/tuttle-creek-rainbow-trout.html

tuttle_creek.jpg

Tom Sawyer Lake : http://goo.gl/maps/M0Es8

I don't know about RVs / camping at this spot, but when my father in law is babysitting my kids and they go up there for a day trip, they come home with no less than 8 - 10 fish between the 3 of them.

Some good stuff here. Thanks guys...

My wife grew up in Yucaipa and I was told that they are now setup with a great camp area and fishing and activities. I will try there for sure. Thats too close not to.

Highly recommend the eastern Sierras

Many of the campgrounds with RV spots and is near a body of water have a waiting list. so call ahead anywhere you plan to go for sure. i know a 33 foot trailer is not something to pull around while exploring so making plans is almost a must. is this for shore fishing only, or do you plan to bring or rent a boat? Skinner does have some nice RV spots and plenty for kids to do around the lake but you can not swim in the lake. fishing is hit and miss for me there. but reading the fish reports are very helpfull anywhere you go. years back i found some cool camp spots going up the back way to MT Baldy. the road follows a creak and about half way up there was a couple camp areas. was really cool and not crowded. fished the streams and caught some nice little brookies. (use crickets only, thats all they will bite) what you ask is somewhat a catch 22. it seems all the lakes going north have limited off roading near by but better fishing. as you go south there seems to be more legal off roading but less fish. i like to use google maps, search around for lakes and streams, zoom in to find camp spots, find the name of the area that i like and look it up for reports and prices (if any). i am betting that for your location, Silverwood will be your best bet. good fishing, decent offroad, and nice campgrounds. just call for availability.

Highly recommend the eastern Sierras

Agree Agree with this one. You can stay at Tom's place or even Bishop. Convict Lake, Lake Crowley, and a few more around there. I went to school in Durango, Colorado, where I had a scholarship for football. We would get off practice and go fishing for dinner(starving students). There is (maybe was) no place like that for fishing other than the areas I mentioned above. In Colorado as sure as you could bait a hook you would get a fish!!!

Back