• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 xj Any other suggestions??

avocado

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so here we go: I posted a few weeks ago about my jeep issues. So it fires right up and idles a little high(about 1200 rpms) Runs for around 5 minutes then starts to sputter, backfire then eventually dies... It will not start again until it is completely cooled down. I usually will wait til next day to try and start it again. I have replaced the following: Alternator, tps, IAC, cps, fuel pump and fuel filter...... any other ideas on what it could be? anything is helpful,

Thanks, Mike(avocado)

My first thought is the engine may be overheating, or a part like the CPS, or fuel rail maybe overheating. Look for exhaust leaks blowing on the fuel injectors, or the engine block. Get an IR temperature tester, about $10-$20 at Harbor Freight and scan every part for hot spots!! Check the fuel pump ballast resistor for thermal failure too.

Check all the top and bottom side bolts and nuts on the manifolds, tighten any loose ones.

You can try misting cold water on a suspect part like the CPS to see if fast cooling solves the restart right away.

Check for a blocked, internally damaged Cat too!

We were messing around with it last night and we disconnected the cat because when I started it the other day and let it run until it cut out again I looked at the exhaust and the cat was bright red and by disconnecting the cat I was hoping that would help and it didn't!! The restart issue after it dies we were able to get it started by holding the key at a pressed in position... would that have to do with an ignition switch or ignition coil of some sourts? Getting really frustrated with this please help!!

thanks, Mike

Bingo!!!

Raw fuel is getting to the Cat if it is turning red!!!!

It is either running extremely rich (O2 sensor network issue, or leaking fuel injector(s), or the spark is late, maybe a problem with the distributor indexing, or jumped timing on the chain, or exhaust valve - head damage leaking into the exhaust.

I would run a compression test, then check the distributor and mechanical timing, then I would pull the injector fuel rail and test the injectors for leaking/seal.

Back