• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tcase Linkage issues

Blank91xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks Im new here and Ive never posted on here. I bought a 91XJ with a 3 inch lift, 33 inch BF Goodrich MT KA2s. I have had some issues with the Tcase linkage. If I pop it in 4hi and go back to 2wd the linkage will sometimes pop out of place. i know i need pics but im at work right now and trying to figure out what i need to order or repair to fix the issue. I can take vice grips, channel locks or something of that nature to press it back, but it gets kinda old. also this is 5Spd with a NP231 Tcase.

You probably just need to adjust the linkage...which is an easy one wrench job.

When you lift, put on a t-case drop, swap trannys etc. the geometry of the t-case linkage changes with respect to the pivot point on the body of the Jeep. Get under there and see if the rod going from tranny to body is straight or if it is cocked up, down or sideways. It's fairly easy to move the pivot point down...Remove the 2 bolts, drill two holes, move bracket down so the rod is square to the other linkage, replace bolts in new holes, adjust linkage as necessary.

Hopefully you have a manual for the Jeep, even a Haynes or Chilton will have procedure for adjusting linkage. Pay attention to the 4 mm spacer when setting it up. Loosen, adjust, tighten, drive...repeat as necessary.

swwet thanks guys ill look into adjusting first and if that doesnt work ill have a buddy help me make the linkage you pointed out kingking.

once again thanks guys. this is a whole new kinda motorsport for me. i had a 2006 Mustang GT that i totaled so i decided to try out jeepin

Before you do anything major, check the green nylon "bushing" on the transfer case side of the shaft. If that shaft is flopping around, it will make it pop out of gear and impossible to adjust correctly. It's a 3 dollar part at the dealer and it made a huge difference on mine.

Back