• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I hate weld nuts!

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
did Jeep make these things out of poop and fail? I've already inserted three heli-coils out of eight weld nuts in the rear panel for the bumper mounts, just stripped two more when I had to R&R one bracket for installation of a bolt for my trailer hitch. This is after cleaning up the threads with a tap and using new bolts. Dammit!

The worst part is is the metal also loves to catch my drill bit and smack me in the face when trying to drill them for the tap. Not a happy camper! I shoulda just helicoiled them all when I stripped the first one but I didn't think it would be this big of a deal. Someday I will be able to work on this stupid thing without all this fiddle farting around.

Is this what I have to look forward to when replacing my rear springs? I hope not, 10mm is the biggest size I have in my helicoil kit.

Edit: I forgot to add, I know this is wrong but I've had excellent success with cutting my helicoils shorter with my Kleins (linesman's pliers for you non-electricians in the audience) then dressing the end lightly on the grinder. The helicoils that come standard in the kit are too deep to insert into the weld nuts so you won't be able to break off the tang if you don't shorten them. they do make shorter ones but I had to work with what came with my kit and what Carquest stocks (which is the same thing) because I've been screwing with this damn bumper/hitch installation for too long.

Last edited:
hah, I used to work on old Studebakers regularly, I still own a '55 coupe.

Working on this thing is giving me flashbacks. It doesn't *look* that bad - all the sheetmetal still has paint on it - but the fasteners are all cranky.

Suspension note:

I did my leaf springs at home without breaking any leaf spring eye bolts. It required air, a good impact, propane, PB blaster (to soak between propane heatings). Keep going at it in that order and be patient. My quarter panels were rusted so I cut and folded which helped me get the impact gun directly on the the rear upper shackle bolt. I cut the springs with a 4" grinder to simplify removal (use a C-clamp to compress the springs holding the whole thing together while you cut).

Weldnut question?

Do you think my drilled out weldnuts on the rear upper shock mounts, and rear bumpstops will cause any problems? These are less critical bolts with less load, so I'd think I'm okay.

I do know your frustrations. I was really worried when I thought I'd have to cut the sheetmetal to get at the captive nuts. I plan on having this cherokee as a DD for a long time.

Yeah, they were high grade. O'reilly's carried the next SAE size up to drill it out. Drilling straight up with my arms pushing was exhausting.

Back