• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix block and head into a ho

Luke95

NAXJA Forum User
I have a mexican renix block and head that I want to swap into my 98 is their any thing I should know?

It has the metric thread pattern on the oil filter, the old owner said it was a Mexican cast block but I don't know.

What about the sensors will every thing from the ho bolt up?

It has the metric thread pattern on the oil filter, the old owner said it was a Mexican cast block but I don't know.

What about the sensors will every thing from the ho bolt up?

Yes. Most sensors are on the intake manifold, exhaust manifold, and thermostat housing so you'll be fine.

I've done this swap the other way a few times. Going HO into Renix. Just consider it as a "longblock" swap and it simplifies things.

Ah ok thanks. I wanted to know before I put any money into the renix block

The HO isn't "magic" by any means. You'll find this to be quite straight forward. Use your HO oil filter adapter while you're at it. New o-rings, and you'll be able to use the more popular filters.

Mexican block?

They were all made in USA. And MT Mike is right on the money about the oil filter threads. we were posting at the same time.

All RENIX engines had the metric threads patterns for the oil filters.
Did not know that. Thanks
The HO isn't "magic" by any means. You'll find this to be quite straight forward. Use your HO oil filter adapter while you're at it. New o-rings, and you'll be able to use the more popular filters.

Mexican block?

They were all made in USA. And MT Mike is right on the money about the oil filter threads. we were posting at the same time.
Thanks for that info, I will swap it over when I do the swap. Thanks Guys thats epic :D

I'm trying to do this now, swapping an 89 renix motor into a 93ZJ 4.0L/AW4... The crankshafts on the motors are different. If you look at the depth of the holes in the end of the cranks, the renix motor is indented roughly 1/2" where the HO crank is indented 3/4". That's why people use different pilot bearings when using manual transmissions. Since you (and I) are going the other way, the torque converter isn't going to sit as far in as it's supposed to. I'm trying to figure out a way to deal with it myself, although I'm told that people have done it with no issues.

For those with RENIX and metric filters, you can purchase an adapter from the dealer, OIL FILTER METRIC TO SAE: 53007563AB then you can use the larger SAE filters.

Wix 51085—One-Half Quart; Wix 51515—One Quart; Wix 51773—Two Quart

Team Cherokee also has the Crown part with the exact same part number as well. Think it was $12 ... have one on the way along with some other goodies for the MJ

Back