• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What sensor is this?

Spearfisher XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Looks like its had better days. It's on the driver side of the block, right above the pan. 88 4.0

JeepSensor_zpsf114539e.jpg

Last edited:
It is a knock sensor.

Is that the way the factory routed the wires for those 3 sensors(CTS,KS,and o2)?

That route being thru a bolt strap at front of engine then down below the motor mount and the CTS and KS split as the o2 wire continues on?

That's how I have mine going but it seams as if the o2 wire kinda hangs down too far.

Just wondering cuz I've looked at all the pics in my FSM and other places and I can't find an unmolested factory harness route for those sensors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that the way the factory routed the wires for those 3 sensors(CTS,KS,and o2)?

That route being thru a bolt strap at front of engine then down below the motor mount and the CTS and KS split as the o2 wire continues on?

That's how I have mine going but it seams as if the o2 wire kinda hangs down too far.

Just wondering cuz I've looked at all the pics in my FSM and other places and I can't find an unmolested factory harness route for those sensors.

Yes, it is.

Also, the knock sensor wiring should be wrapped in foil, this is a drain to prevent crosstalk and falsing. This wrapping may be repaired with any convenient metal foil (aluminum, tin, steel, CRES, copper - whatever) and just wrap it over the break.

The connector (if it gets bunged up) is the same as that used on the fuel injectors - one of those may be used for repair. Works fine.

NB: The replacement sensors (aftermarket) are typically not the same style - instead of screwing into the block, there is usually a stud (probably with two different thread diameters) that will thread into the hole in the block, and the sensor itself will be a "donut" that fits over the smaller side of the stud and is retained with a nut (and possibly a washer.) This is done for logistical reasons - it allows the same sensor to be used with a broad number of thread sizes (I think the hole is 8mm or 5/16", the RENIX knock sensor is threaded M10-1.5, for instance.)

There is a reason for that!!

CTS?

And I believe that is how it was routed from the factory. My local hardware store sold me 100 feet of 1/4" , 1/2", 3/4" , 1" corrugated plastic loom for 25 bucks and have used it to clean up any low hanging wire loom. It's really given the old XJ a sano look.

CTS?

And I believe that is how it was routed from the factory. My local hardware store sold me 100 feet of 1/4" , 1/2", 3/4" , 1" corrugated plastic loom for 25 bucks and have used it to clean up any low hanging wire loom. It's really given the old XJ a sano look.

Coolant Temperature SENSOR, screwed into the block's coolant galley forward of the KS and O2 sensors.

Back