• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have a question for Renix gurus

djgrayxj

NAXJA Forum User
Question from DJ
On P#99 Connector Views of my 1988 Electrical Manual the following connectors are listed:
1] C101: EEC to injector
2] C103: Engine to ECC
3] C104: Engine to ECC
4] C109: Engine to ECC
Plus 6 more connectors that have ECC reference
What the heck is ECC referring to?

Note TO DJ:

Just a shot in the dark here...

I would think the wiring diagram is referring to Engine Control Computer, as opposed to the Engine Control Unit...or Engine Computer Connector.

I'm pretty sure the E means engine, and at least one of the C's means Control or Computer

Last edited:
Note from DJ
You are correct cruiser54 it should have been like this.

On P#99 Connector Views of my 1988 Electrical Manual the following connectors are listed:
2] C103: Engine to EEC
3] C104: Engine to EEC
4] C109: Engine to EEC
Plus 6 more connectors that have EEC reference
What the heck is EEC referring to?

Extreme Engine Controls?

LOL

Note from DJ
Exit Electrical Connector: They are match connectors used to join two harness assemblies together.

After looking at the harness view schematic’s it appears these connectors are used to connect information gathering harness to main harness which were used to transmit information to and from either the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) or the Transmission Control Unit (TCU).

This is my Interpretation for now as what ECC stands for.

So where did the data go? What was the data used for, did the old Ford style spark computers use that data?

Are there any old write ups on how those work, or on testing them? Like the O2 sensor, or the spark computer (if you can call it that?). Looks like a hall cell pick coil deal in the dizzy? Is that right? I also see a vacuum advance on the dizzy. In fact it has so much stuff on I am dizzy, LOL.

We did some clutch, SS-MC work on it today and I was nosing around under the hood.

Note from DJ
You are correct cruiser54 it should have been like this.

2] C103: Engine to EEC
3] C104: Engine to EEC
4] C109: Engine to EEC
Plus 6 more connectors that have EEC reference
What the heck is EEC referring to?

Believe it or not, AMC and ChryCo used to call their systems "Electronic Engine Control" or "Electronic Emissions Control" - the two terms are close to interchangeable (although they are semantically different.) The former is more common.

Yep. Had them on carbureted 258s in Eagles and Jeeps.

Yep. Ever hear of a "Rochester feedback" carburettor? Or a "Feedback Thermoquad?" That's what the HEGO was for - as a feedback loop to trim fuel delivery in the carburettor (using an irritating system that varied by manufacturer & year. Mechanical fuel injection was rather simpler, and EFI is much easier to diagnose & service!)

Had a Ford ignition box and a fuel feedback carb that had a pintle attached, kinda like an IAC on our 4.0s, but controlled the mixture in the carb.

Did it adjust air flow or fuel flow with the IAC like pintle device?

Nice find DJ!!!! Thanks. Looks like I am going to be digging into that history more. Good think I hung on to all my 1970s and 80s diagnostic tools.

Yep. Ever hear of a "Rochester feedback" carburettor? Or a "Feedback Thermoquad?" That's what the HEGO was for - as a feedback loop to trim fuel delivery in the carburettor (using an irritating system that varied by manufacturer & year. Mechanical fuel injection was rather simpler, and EFI is much easier to diagnose & service!)

Yep, my dad has a 1986 GMC Cabellero (El Camino) with a 305 cu. in. and a Q-Jet E4ME carb.

It uses a TPS and a M/C solenoid (mixture control) that controls the metering rods in the carb. from input of a 1 wire o2 sensor on 1 bank of cylinders.

Last year they made the carb. and went to F.I. after that.

Back