• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Simple rear bump stops on top of the Ubolt plates

travisk

NAXJA Forum User
I put these quick rear bump stops together and had a friend weld them on tonight. It's 1.5" square tubing welded between the nuts on the U bolt plate, with a 99 cent hockey puck mounted on top.

The puck puts the stop exactly 5" above the part of the axle where the upper stop would normally (not) hit. The sway bar mounts are no longer usable. Oh well.

I'll see how the stops hold up on the trail this weekend.

Cherokee_rear_bump_stop_1.JPG

Cherokee_rear_bump_stop_2.JPG

Cherokee_rear_bump_stop_3.JPG

Last edited:
Looks good. I'm running the longer 4" daystar bumps up top and DPG u-bolt plates with add on spacers. Does the same thing, just a different way, works great and stops the tire just short of hitting the fender.

I'd say if you wanted a bit more squish to your bumpstops instead of just a bang stop, get the longer upper bump and take the hockey puck out so the rubber on top hits the metal tube on the bottom.

I dont mean to be a negative nancy, but I made something similar a couple of years back, and they bent. It does look like your tubing is thicker wall than what I used, but mine bent very easily.

I ended up making something that had a brace down to the axle tube.

Keep an eye on it.

Travisk,

What did you use to cut that hole in the hockey puck that enabled the bolt to be recessed.

I like you job and the use of the pucks. They are much softer than the most OEM bump stop rubber.

Cherokee_rear_bump_stop_3.JPG
[/QUOTE]

If I had to guess, a Forstner bit. Available at Home Depot for reasonable prices, should cut rubber pucks like butter.

I'd worry about the tube wall thickness used too but no way to know without beating on it a bit, it's not like it will keep you from driving home if it starts bending a bit, just have to ease off some and fix it later.

I just used a flat bit and a drill press to recess the bolt. It cuts easier than wood. Don't recess it all the way...it will compress a little when you bolt it together.

If the puck falls apart I'm out a buck and 1" of bump stop.

Yeah, pucks are damn hard rubber. And when they are hitting another rubber bumpstop, I doubt they will wear much.

they are not hard rubber at all.

and the sides of them that are unsupported will be the first to go. once those are broken off the partial puck will chew up the stock bump pretty well.

Back