• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Drag need Help

zachm2010

NAXJA Forum User
My question is how much brake drag is normal on front disk brakes? With the tire mounted i can rotate the tire but it stops spinning immediately when i stop pushing it. With the tire off i can turn the assembly but it takes a significant amount of effort. Is this "normal". If not what does it sound like? 96 XJ 2wd (looking for a donor to convert to 4wd)

im pretty sure this is not normal just looking for some input before i go replace my calipers im a student on a tight budget im trying not to spend $ if i dont have to.

Take the calipers off and clean the slide pins well and the holes they slide into. Lube with caliper grease and re-assemble. New pins are cheap and usually come with grease.

Check for grooves worn into the knuckles where the calipers mount. If there are grooves you need to weld them up and grind them flat again or just get new knuckles.

Back