• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2WD TO 4WD

slamminsam101

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of converting a '97 2wd to 4wd. I found a 98 trans and tcase, but apparently I have to change the tail-shaft housing. Does anyone know why? I know I have to change the speed sensor wheel on the output shaft. Is the sensor hole in a different location? Will a '96 and earlier tail-shaft housing work? Any help will be greatly appreciated. '97, 4.0, 2-door, currently 2wd.

Last edited:
Automatic, I assume?

The OSS is a different diameter (at least, it was when I did this) on 97 down vs 98 up - I forget which is larger. You also have to change the rotor for it over.

That being said, if you can solder you can probably put together the circuit lawsoncl designed to convert a 98 and later OSS signal to a 97 and earlier OSS signal. That way you don't have to change any hard parts on the transmission at all.

An 87 through 97 tail housing should work - it's the one that bolts onto the back of the main transmission case and also bolts onto the transfer case front. I'm not 100% sure of the 87 through 90 tail housings working but 91 through 97 definitely will. If you swap tail housings and sensors you will also need to swap the magnetic rotor that drives the sensor, all you have to do to do that is pull a few circlips off, slide one rotor off, slide the other on, then toss the circlips back on it.

Thanks for the inspiration. Went ahead and bought the 98 trans and t-case and so far all is going smooth. Ended up changing hard parts and adapting my solenoid/OSS harness to work. We'll see how it does when I put it in this week...

Back