• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need my T-case rebuilt ASAP who can I trust?

jumpnjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Like the title says, need someone I can trust and afford. Haven't had luck finding another good used one in my budget. Looking for other options now. It's a 231j, and its whipped. Both output shaft bearings are loose and wobbly. I had to pull the front DS because it was so noisy (sounded like a really loud whiny bearing eating itself, loud metal to metal noise) the rear is very loose as well, I think it also contributed to premature failure of my rear U-joint.

Anyhow, any referrals would be appreciated.

Asa

rebuild it yourself, it's easy. or maybe someone on here can do it for a small fee or beer.

advanced adapters, novak, and JB conversions all sell rebuild kits.

you need a set of snap ring pliers, thats about it.

I'd pick up a spare for like a hundred bucks on here or at a junkyard and run that, then rebuild the other one at my leisure.

Tools -
10mm 12 point socket
seal puller http://www.sears.com/lisle-seal-puller/p-00947645000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
brass wire wheel for cleaning off rtv
lockring pliers http://www.sears.com/craftsman-lock...se&origin=beta&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
Other than that, your regular SAE and metric sockets. You might want a seal driver, at least on my 96+ transfer case I used a 1 foot long piece of 2" PVC pipe for the rear seal, it fit perfectly as a driver. Not sure what you need as a front seal driver but it shouldn't need to be as deep. Make sure you get the right seals, a lot of parts stores have the part numbers wrong, the front output seals are all the same iirc and the rear output seals are right for a 95 and earlier, but wrong for a 96 and later, you want an SKF/NAPA 18108 for the rear output on a 96 and later case no matter what the parts store says.

Since you have to replace bearings you'll also want an inside circlip plier since the rear output bearing and a few others are retained with those. http://www.sears.com/knipex-snap-ring-pliers/p-00932344000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

You also need a big hex socket for the front output yoke nut, I'm not sure of the actual size, a 30mm works if you are careful, it's probably a 28 or 29mm or a 1 1/8" or so. You'll want a pipe wrench to hold the yoke while you crank on that nut with a breaker bar.

I can't vouch for the circlip pliers there as I've never used them but the lockring pliers and seal puller I linked are excellent. I've done an SYE with those tools in under an hour.

Ok sounds good I will have to look into the kits, I tried looking for another used on here, missed my chance didn't have the cash in time. I have all those tools listed, just didn't know where to get the parts. Thanks guys.

It's really easy. I would do it for you but I have no time. Do some research on it, basically the only special tool you need is a really good, and big set of snap-ring pliers. I think mine were like $30-$50 from Snap-On

It's really easy. I would do it for you but I have no time. Do some research on it, basically the only special tool you need is a really good, and big set of snap-ring pliers. I think mine were like $30-$50 from Snap-On

Yeah I have the tools, time is a big issue for me as well. But at this point I will have to make the time. I just spoke to a shop that I have worked with before, he said the biggest thing I need to check for right now is draining the oil and looking for aluminum shavings. That determines if I need a new car or not.

Even if you do see alum shavings, you won't need a new jeep.

Not even a new case.

You probably need all the bearings, and a chain.

Your's renix, Asa? I will be pulling my 231 soon to swap in a 242 with HnT. There is currently one buyer waiting, but not sure if they will aquire one or not.

Also try giving my buddy a call. He owns a shop in Corona called All 4Wheel Drive, his name is John. He can quote you a rebuild but he might have a complete case. He has a lot of drivetrain parts laying around, 95% of it is Jeep stuff.

Tell him Brandon sent ya.

Your's renix, Asa? I will be pulling my 231 soon to swap in a 242 with HnT. There is currently one buyer waiting, but not sure if they will aquire one or not.

Mine is actually HO but it has a remix t case from an 89 currently. Let me know if yours is available, not sure how I would pick it up right now but let me know anyway.

Also try giving my buddy a call. He owns a shop in Corona called All 4Wheel Drive, his name is John. He can quote you a rebuild but he might have a complete case. He has a lot of drivetrain parts laying around, 95% of it is Jeep stuff.

Tell him Brandon sent ya.

Thanks I will call him tomorrow for a quote. And see if he has a case there, that would be ideal if I could just swap in a new one.

BTW have you thought getting a case from pick a part? I wouldn't take long. 30-45 min tops and you'll have that transfer case on the floor.

I need/want to head down to get some mid arms from max. So I could bring it down

Cracker is going to help me rebuild mine, but let me know before you are heading down. I might have you bring it anyway. What year is it again? You said its renix, so I'm assuming pre 91? Vacuum disco?

Back