• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Cherokee Crawl Ballistic Potato Challenge!

The Hard Struggler

NAXJA Forum User
If you were there, great fun was had sending 50# of taters across the yard at last years Crawl.

Time for a competition!

First rule........ Don't blow yourself up, and infinitely more important, don't blow anyone else up!

Second rule.... You must only compete in the first two event categories with potatoes as projectiles, and with either hair spray or mapp gas/propane as propellant.

The event will have three categories,

1-Accuracy. Large paper target with concentric rings with number values. Best score with 5 shots wins.

2-Max distance. Just like it sounds, mail that tater'!

3-Style and design/Exhibition. Anything goes! Custom ammo, scary propellant, yeehaw! :scared: But be safe! If you build a spud gun that looks like a dragon, great. If it functions like a auto-loader, that's fine too. If it scares people with its size and power, even better! Participants and audience votes for the winner.

Building your own tuber-shooter is encouraged, or you may compete with someone else's gun with their permission. Schd40 PVC is cheap, safe and easy to use. Lots of ideas online. Use your Imagination!!!

http://www.google.com/search?q=spud+gun+plans&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

And yes there will be trophies!

Last edited:
What if we want to build a slingshot/catapult?

I love to watch punkin chunkin between Halloween and T-giving...let's start the first tater chunkin competition.

What kind of potatoes? (big bakers, yellow, white, red, can we throw 50# of frenchfries?)

If you build a trebuchet that can fling a spud into the target, more power to you!

I can't wait to see it!
You may shoot, fling, launch, whatever type, size, or amount of tater you choose.

Forewarned is forearmed, if you expect to be competitive, your potato flinger must be amazing!

There WILL be some very serious ordinance at this event!

Last edited:
excellent....we may have to enter a topside powersports sponsored rig...i think an atv mounted shooter might show

Has this been OK'd by Stephen? I know he'd be all for it i'm sure but we may want to ask him if its ok. He's been a very gracious host at the past few crawls.

Oh boy, I hope Glenn doesn't see this.... then I'll have to build one of these too before the Crawl!

Has this been OK'd by Stephen? I know he'd be all for it i'm sure but we may want to ask him if its ok. He's been a very gracious host at the past few crawls.

Good question, he has never minded any of our other shenanigans in the past.

Yall might as well leave yer stuff at home. I got this. Been building it since last year...

I have no doubt whatever you got is gonna be badass!

Yall might as well leave yer stuff at home. I got this. Been building it since last year...

This is gonna get goooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!

Custom machining and tig welded with cool paint I'm sure.

Just added the final touches on SpudZILLA. Fired one test shot and sent a small piece of sweet potato (all I had on hand) into orbit. Makes a really cool metallic ringing sound.

I had a broken crossbow with a Red Dot scope thats been sitting on the shelf for a few years. I figured Id sacrifice it to the sake of Crawl Shenanigans.

The rest is Stainless Steel tube. Barrel is a little smaller than I wanted, but its seamless, and the tube was free from work. Had an old outdoor propane fire pit (the kind with lava rocks) that all the steel had rotted off of it, so I snagged the igniter from that.

Gotta get a sack of taters, and get the scope dialed in. Other that, she is ready! I hope Tim and I arent the only ones bringing spud launchers!

I dont know why the video is upside down...

~ Stump "I hope Macgyver doesnt arrest me for manufacturing a weapon" XJ.

Oh yeah, she is a heavy girl... might need to bring the tri-pod, especially for sighting in the scope. Otherwise, it has a manly heft! Anyone is welcome to shoot it, at yer own risk. :D

I might bring the soup can gun but shooting it scares the hell out of me.

Last guy who shot it got a black eye and damn near broke his nose

This will make use of our time when the weather is unfavorable :party:

Back