• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ rear setup on a budget.

SleeperzCreeperz

NAXJA Forum User
(*Noob alert* :flame:)

I'm looking for a few key bits for my drag sleeper project. I believe these are off-the-shelf parts that I have simply not churned up yet with the search function.

1.) Posi/locker rear. Suggestions?
2.) Shackle reverse. I see a few shackle relocators, but nothing for reversing the shackles. I think the hinge should be in the rear to prevent wrapping. Any thoughts?
3.) Slapper traction bars.

I intend to retain some level of street manners with it, so I'm not sure about a locker. (It won't be much of a sleeper to a trained eye, BTW.) Being a noob, I do not know how strong the stock 8in rear actually is. I'm looking at around 400ft/lbs or more. The engine and tuning will come later. For now, I am looking for chassis parts to shore up strength and reliability.

I'd add a set of frame stiffeners as well. I personally have used Ruffstuff and like them very much.

..."oops" on the shackle location. I meant to say move it to the front.

Considering the upgraded shackle location kits, what would be their advantage in a launch situation? I was under the impression that axle wrap causes the XJ's wheelhop. Is this not so, making it more of a matter of adjustments vs. any redesign?

rc-jeep-xj-shackle-relo-kit.jpg

A "beefier" rear would help, but I'm curious what would eliminate it's problems entirely. A coil spring rear (at stock height!) would seem expensive and self-defeating.

jeep-cj-7-traction-bar-1.jpg

Is there anything like this for XJs? I didn't think there was, so generic traction bars seemed like my only option.

Last edited:
You want the shackle in the rear or you will have a very harsh ride. Build a set of decent traction bars and use some good springs and shocks and you should be good. Also, as was said, strengthen the frame everywhere you can if you want it to last.

Thank you. Duly noted on the subframe connectors, as well. What else ya got? :listenmus

I plan on a hoop and F/R kickers to protect my lanky ass behind the wheel. I'll be doing a host of dietary mods, as well.

Are there any other areas on an XJ to pay special attention to? On a hard launch, I anticipate seeing some of the articulating behavior that you crawler guys see in the rocks. That's why I'm looking at a similar path of hardware upgrades. I don't think it will need anything more than off-the-shelf tough stuff.

Shackle relocation allows you to fine tune your shackle angle at ride height for many reasons. IE ride quality, flex, and proper lift with aftermarket springs. But there are other factors that play into these qualities than just relocation of the shackle

Traction bars are to prevent axle wrap. Which prematurely destroys springs and makes for a rough time getting traction in some situations.

locker verses posi is an entirely terrain dictated decision. Also depends on what you have in your wallet.

You do not want to reverse your shackles to the front. I would do a bit more reading in the stickies before you do some of these. Its best to know why you want these modifications not just because other people tell you its what you want.

Slapper bars are not sleeper. Get some spring clamps which will help with wrap and adhere to the "budget" theme of the build. Poly bushings and greasing the leaves will prevent bind and give you a nice squat at launch. Drag springs or taller springs up front help planting the weight on the rear as well. Putting a bag on the pass side will keep you staight out of the hole and improve ET's . 90/10 and 50/50 shocks front and rear if you dont drive too much on the street.

http://www.rm-indy.com/spring_clamps.htm

try some overload leafs on the top of the pack?

66824_10151374232849436_455286026_n.jpg

jeep-cj-7-traction-bar-1.jpg

Is there anything like this for XJs? I didn't think there was, so generic traction bars seemed like my only option.
None that I have found, but the one you shown is good, but requires welding. It looks to be a more unit. Sam's offroad offers some kits. http://sams4x4store.com/tractionbars.htm

Slapper bars are not sleeper. Get some spring clamps which will help with wrap and adhere to the "budget" theme of the build. Poly bushings and greasing the leaves will prevent bind and give you a nice squat at launch. Drag springs or taller springs up front help planting the weight on the rear as well. Putting a bag on the pass side will keep you staight out of the hole and improve ET's . 90/10 and 50/50 shocks front and rear if you dont drive too much on the street.

http://www.rm-indy.com/spring_clamps.htm
^^^ this guy know his stuff.

Since we are on the topic, would there be a benefit in adding a rear trac bar, like YJs have? Leaf sprung vehicle and they still had a trac bar in the rear and front.

Back