• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rev Limiter @ 3k RPMs?

Kingkong0192

NAXJA Forum User
This problem has driving me insane for about a year now and i've never done anything to attempt to fix it/troubleshoot it.

Jeep runs perfect. However, when i mash the gas pedal to the floor (from a stop), the RPMs shoot up really high (way over 3k rpms) but once it makes that shift, and i think one more after that it will not going over 3k RPMs.

I understand that my jeep isn't meant to go 400MPH, but it would be nice that when i'm cruising at 45MPH to be able to push the gas pedal to the floor and have the revs skyrocket in case i need to get out of the way of something or what have you.

It's like there is a limiter or something stopping it. I'll get a video of it tomorrow. I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong with it.

Literally sits on 3,000RPMs and creeps up every so slowly to like 3,200 and just stops. This is on flat ground as well.

99 XJ
3.55 Gearing
32" Tires
New Cap + rotor + plug wires + plugs
New Head
New CPS
New Ignition Coil
New Battery

Probably some other thing that i've missed. Anyone ever experience anything like this?

A rev limiter would cut out and you'd hear it "bounce." Your issue is something else.
Could it be the kickdown cable not working right?

A rev limiter would cut out and you'd hear it "bounce." Your issue is something else.
Could it be the kickdown cable not working right?

Should of stated that different. I know there isn't an actual rev limiter on my jeep, but whatever is causing it is acting like a rev limiter.

Goes up to 3,000RPMs and then just stops.

Haven't checked it. Let me search around and figure out how to adjust that correctly.

I had a similar problem long ago with my 95 and part of it turned out to be the MAP sensor (the other part was bad plugs, which you have already taken care of). A long shot, but might be worth a try.

Does the engine stop at the same RPM if you put it in a lower gear?

How about the fuel pressure? Did you checked it?
The engine really dies or simply doesn't goes over that RPM?

Good point above. I never had this problem with the Jeep but with another vehicle, a clogged fuel filter produced exactly that effect. It ran perfectly up to a certain speed and then simply did not go faster.

Dang an aftermarket MAP is $80. Is there a testing procedure on that thing? I'm not feeling lucky enough to take a guess today. Haha.

Tested the fuel pressure like 2 months ago and it was like 47 PSI (i think spec is 49 +/- 5 PSI for a 99). This was tested when the pump primed right before you would crank it over. I have not tested it while the jeep is driving. Tested it when i was trying to figure out if the fuel pump or the CPS was shot.

As in if i'm doing 45MPH and drop it into 3 and then push the pedal to the floor does it go over 3k RPMs? Or simply start with the jeep in 3rd and try to get over 3k RPMs? I'll try from a complete start in 1-2, and then in 3, to see if my problem is only in drive.

Also note that if the jeep is in park or neutral, i can rev it up beyond 3k without a problem.

If it will rev past 3k in neutral or park, but cannot get above 3k under load, I definitely think it's a fuel delivery problem. If pressure is up to spec, then delivery volume might be a problem...i.e. fuel filter.

Your distributor may not be indexed correctly.

Search for "toothpick aligning".

Thanks for the help guys - I think i fixed it.

Adjusted the TV/Kickdown cable, and it seems to have gone away for now. My god what an easy fix and what a huge difference.

Seriously, go adjust your kickdown cable if you haven't done it recently. It's night and day.

Back