• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help ! Dana35 issue

96xj-A-skwad

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
Ok so ive got a 96 auto with dana 35 rear. Open dif. Lifted RC 3" new leafs About 2 weeks ago.

Since i bought it, theres been a swooshing/humming/rubbing sound from the right rear wheel. Only happens when off the pedals coasting at around 15-35mph.

About 200 miles ago i changed the rear dif fluid. No shavings, or any metal. Everything appeared normal.

As of this morning, the sound has gotten significantly worse and is present under all driving conditions except when applying brakes.

Last night i engaged my parking brake on a hill and decided to test it, put it in neutral and i started to roll. Thats the only thing i have done differently recently. I did this before i started hearing the worse noise.

Im hoping its brakes, but understand it could also be
-ujoinys
-pinion bearing
-wheel/axel bearing
-pinion nut

Any other ideas?

This is my daily driver and i commute t school and work

Thanks everyone in advance!

-pete

According to PO BRAKES Were done a few months ago. Not sure on millage

Just pull the wheel and drum and take a look.

Likely something came loose from the brake job.

Also highly possible the e-brake line is loose from it's spring hanger and is hitting the tire/rim/wheel weights as the tire spins.

I've had that happen on both my 88 & my 96 on the pass side rear wheel. An old carb return spring solved the issue on both.

Had A Rock Get Stuck In Between My Caliper And Rim Once, Made all Kinds Of Weird Noises But Only In Certain Directions, Can't Remember Which

Back