• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit autolocker question

YZRacer408

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning in buying a Detroit auto locker for my 2000 XJ with an 8.25 29 spline rear end. I'm wondering when you install the locker do you have to check or reset backlash or preload on the gears. I don't know how to check and set backlash so its going to be the deciding factor if I can afford the locker right now.

its a drop in type locker, replacing the spider gears inside the carrier. the term "lunchbox" comes from the fact that it can be installed over a lunch break. there is no resetting of the gears with this kind of locker. it should act very similar to a full case auto locker, the advantage of replacing the entire carrier is the gain in strength.

since its your daily... if you havent locked the front, id suggest putting lunchbox in the front. itll be invisible in 2wd. i love mine offroad.

its a drop in type locker, replacing the spider gears inside the carrier. the term "lunchbox" comes from the fact that it can be installed over a lunch break. there is no resetting of the gears with this kind of locker. it should act very similar to a full case auto locker, the advantage of replacing the entire carrier is the gain in strength.

since its your daily... if you havent locked the front, id suggest putting lunchbox in the front. itll be invisible in 2wd. i love mine offroad.

Thank you for the info I looked into them and ended up ordering an Aussie locker for my 8.25

Back