• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V8 ZJ sway bar questions

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
So I went to my local junkyard this past weekend and pulled a sway bar off a V8 ZJ (1996 IIRC), only to get home and discover that both the one I pulled and my currently installed unit are 26mm in diameter.

What models had beefier sway bars? O'Reilly had bracket bushings listed for 29mm sway bars (when looking up parts for a V8 ZJ, 1996-1998), but I'm not too clear on what models would have had this unit.

I did notice that a couple V8 ZJs in the yard had unusual sway bar links. Some had the typical "hi-hat" style links shared with the XJ (dual bushings surrounded by cups, so to speak), however, others had sway bar links that were most similar to TREs or ball joints. These models' sway bars had much smaller link eyes as well.

I didn't take my calipers with me (like an idiot), so now I'm a bit confused. What exactly do I need to look for in order to obtain the beefiest sway bar that ZJs were equipped with?

I dont know if all ZJ SB's are the same diameter, but i believe the 97-98's had the upper stud type link.. my 98 did.

I'v also read that several guys have had issues with the Addco swaybars breaking the bracket off the axle housing. I thought i wanted one till i read a thread on such at JF.

Isnt it Limited version XJ's that have a larger OD SB's?.. perhaps it's similar on the ZJ?

That's definitely good to know. Honestly, I'd rather not spend $200+ on a sway bar so I was never really looking at purchasing one.

Never heard about the Limited having a beefier sway bar. I'd think that the tow package XJs in general would (like mine), but it's hard to say. Seems like the 2001 model was the get-this-sh*t-out-of-the-warehouse version in general.

Looking at NAPA's web site, it also would appear as though the XJ may have come with 3 different sway bar diameters (22mm, 26mm, or 28mm).

Just a guess but the 5.9 limited probably has the bigger bar

Taking a caliper with you is the only way to be sure. You want the 28mm bar. Never heard of a 29.

I was just reading a similar thread the other day. Apparently, from what others have observed there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which Jeeps came with which diameter front sway bar.

I didn't realized this when I grabbed my ZJ swaybar from the junkyard and IIRC mine is a 26mm unit. It's still much larger than the original swaybar on my '91 XJ though, and definitely helped reduce body roll.

Back