• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bell housing bolts

Gnarlyrider27

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I am trying to pull my engine on my 92 4.0 and I have only 2 bolts left in the bell housing then motor mounts. I found it weird that there was 2 16mm bolts 2 13mm bolts and the 2 tops ones are 10mm. I have a big impack gun because its the one off my tow truck but ended up breaking 3 swivels 2 3/8's and a 1/2 trying to break lose the 2 10mm bolts. I have done everything I could and can't get anywhere. I been working on these 2 bolts for 3 hours now.

They aren't 10mm. They are E12 size inverse torx.

Hopefully you haven't completely rounded them banging around with an impact and a 10mm socket, because that will really suck to get apart.

Then they should be a 9/16 hex head, because the thread for those two bolts is 3/8-16. Either he did something wrong, or he told you the wrong thing, or you are doing something wrong.

Well something isn't right because I have done everything I could and nothing. And I am doing the same thing I always do when I unbolt the transmission from the engine. Doing the same thing for the past 7 years and this is the very first one that gave me this much problems. On anything else either then trans would had been out by now or the engine if it was something else. At this point what is the best way to go about getting the bolts out. Dont want to pull the trans out. Dont have the time to deal with it.

If a 10mm went onto it at all, it is probably an E12. A 6 point 10mm can be hammered on and used, a 12 point will round them to the point that you almost can't get them off with an E12. Guess how I know?

Ok well I got one out and cant get the other one now. Its to messed up. Cant get any sockets on it. No idea how I am going to get it now. Plus I need another hand cause I have to get under the hood to line the socket up and by time I get back under it it moves again so been doing this for 45 mins now.

Do you also work on BMWs?

Ok I finally got help and got all the bolts out. Now I am fighting on trying to get the engine out. Doesnt seem like the toque converter is staying put and stuck to the fly wheel. Yes I got all the bolts out of the fly wheel.

Keep a jack under the transmission and raise it with the engine to get the engine mounts clear. I dread trying to put mine back in...

Keep a jack under the transmission and raise it with the engine to get the engine mounts clear. I dread trying to put mine back in...

X2^^

Out is usually the easy part-- getting it aligned and bolted back up is the tough one!! A friend to help guide things will come in handy (along with the floor jack)

time, energy, and effort..... if you put enough of each into it, you'll get the desired result!! :cheers:

it's not that hard as long as you're expecting it to be a pain in the arse and take ten people to align everything. You'll be amazed what two people and a six pack of adult beverages can accomplish:laugh3:

You could try removing the engine mounts and shake the motor slightly side to side to free torque converter. I believe every one with an auto dreads this task. I've pulled two aw4 with 231s on them, before I realized it was easier to just remove front end and pull both at the same time.

Back