• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what axle do i have?

aziz ca

NAXJA Forum User
Hello guys,,

new comer is here:cheers:

what axle are on my jeep?

my jeep is cheokee xj 1998 classic

thanks a lot

You're going to need to provide more info (pics, etc) for us to tell you... but you can identify them yourself.

Front is going to be a dana 30

Rear is going to be a dana 35 or chrysler 8.25, maybe a dana 44 if someone swapped it before you bought it. Compare:
http://www.allthingsjeep.com/atj11127.html

"From the factory your 1998 would have come with a chrysler 8.25 rear and Dana 30 front" This is not always true - 1998 models with ABS used the Dana 35.

If the axle has flat webbing across the bottom, it's an 8.25.

Kastein really knows his stuff...

ABS always got a d35, non ABS USUALLY got an 8.25 but may randomly have a d35 as well, depending on whether the factory ran out of 8.25s that day or not. Basically, to reach any kind of reliable conclusion, you have to look at it.

I learn something new every day I guess...lol

Front Axles
Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]ring [COLOR=blue !important]gear[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] - used 84-99 (some axles through 91 are vacuum disconnect, 92+ are non-disconnect, 89-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints, all 95+ have 5-297x u-joints, all others have 5-260x u-joints except 84 thru 86 they were CV type rather than open u-joints)

Dana 30 low pinion - standard cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear, 5-297x u-joints - used 00-01

[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Rear [COLOR=blue !important]Axles[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
(Note on Dana 35 axles sometimes referred to as Dana 35C - The "C" does not stand for c-clip. It stands for "custom" meaning it came from Dana unfinished.)
(Note on 8.25 axles - none of these axles were used on XJs with ABS brakes. If you have ABS, you have the Dana 35. Without ABS you could have either axle. 8.25 axles are c-clip)

The low pinion D30s on the 00 and 01 XJs are the same front axle used on the TJ Wranglers (with the exception of Rubicons that used a D44/D30 hybrid). The high pinion version is stronger because the reverse cut pushes the ring and pinion together instead of pushing the pinion away from the ring gear.

Back