• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2014 Cherokee

RobertF

NAXJA Forum User
Have you seen the 'New' 2014 Cherokee at the New York Auto show Wednesday March 27?
How they can say it's 'Trail Rated' when it's built on a Fiat chassis?
It's a mall crusing CRV with a mini van engine, Jeep should be ashamed of themselves.

It's going to be built in Ohio.
Gee, look at the articulation (not) at the rear wheel.
76864cea06d542ef82460abbf3c90026-562218ebd3254c3e85db916625f0c5bc-0_t607.jpg

76864cea06d542ef82460abbf3c90026-562218ebd3254c3e85db916625f0c5bc-0_t607.jpg

I'd say mediocre trolling, but there are some vagina's that call themselves car guys, and jalopnik is where you will find many of them. So i wouldnt be surprised if its serious.

Either way, meh. If he's trolling, you guys deserve it for thinking cherokee is anything more than a brand name to be bought and sold. Imagine how the people of the indian tribe feel.

hopefully people dont buy them. even if they dont sell any they will never return to the classic body. car companys have a hard time saying "hey we ****ed up"

It's a CUV which is a fairly popular segment (Rav4, CRV, Tiguan, etc). Makes sense for any car company to try and compete in that segment. The liberty was more truck like, still got bashed by the jeepers AND couldn't compete with the more refined CUV. Patriot reasonably carried the XJ body design forward, but has cheap and terrible driveline set up that just wouldn't allow it to ever be dressed up to compete with the mid level CUV.

So jeep now has:
- Wrangler: bonifide off road JEEP platform, refined enough for reasonable daily driving.
- grand cherokee: mid size + SUV with respectable luxury/utility and off road capabilities.
- cherokee. Smaller CUV. Appears to be positioned to compete with the current, more refined CUV category, looks like it will have a decent engine/transmission offering. But will compromise on off road capabilities.

Sounds like a reasonable line up. Maybe they should have just not used the cherokee name.

BTW. If the new cherokee becomes available with a diesel with a decent transmission it could be a winner.

if they fixed the lights and made a SRT version i wouldnt mind it for a daily driver. it's just not a cherokee.

I don't think it lives up to the legacy of the name Cherokee. I actually like the thing mostly but I think they should call it something else. I think the should resurrect the Cherokee with a mid to full size body, beefy D44 axles, 241OR t-case, 8" of suspension travel, and 35" tires. That's my idea of a Cherokee worth building. They could offer a rubicon version with a factory rollcage, auto disconnect sway bar, extra off road lighting and body/undercarriage armor.

I think the whole front end would need to be re-worked. Squinty headlights and the grill is on the hood?!?!? What's wrong with sticking to the iconic jeep grill and lights.

I don't think it lives up to the legacy of the name Cherokee. I actually like the thing mostly but I think they should call it something else. I think the should resurrect the Cherokee with a mid to full size body, beefy D44 axles, 241OR t-case, 8" of suspension travel, and 35" tires. That's my idea of a Cherokee worth building. They could offer a rubicon version with a factory rollcage, auto disconnect sway bar, extra off road lighting and body/undercarriage armor.

Isn't that basically attainable with a wrangler?

That would sell like... well it wouldnt sell at all... to quote bimmerjeeper, most people dont even know what 8" of suspension travel is...

I dont think this forum realizes we are not the majority, or even a marketable demographic. IF jeep did produce that killer cherokee... honestly, would you buy one? Even if you came up with 40k, nobody else would, and it wouldnt sell.

COME ON GUYS, this is a marketing thing. The people want ifs/irs, small peppy motor, and those asian grand cherokee with braces look.

I like my 10 year old, $3k 3rd owner xj, jeep doesnt give a shit about me or most of the people on this site, and why should they? What have we done for them lately besides make condensending jokes about fiat?

I dont think this forum realizes we are not the majority, or even a marketable demographic.

:clap:

Don't even know why this is being discussed......

Back