• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best fix for rust on bottom of doors?

Chrisp929

NAXJA Forum User
2001 xj . Three doors are rusty on the bottom. Hatch has rust in one corner.

No other rust to speak of. None on frame, rockers, nothin..

Door skins are only avalable up to 1996 model year.

I dont really wanna cover it with armor.

Spare clean junkyard doors don't exist here in the northeast.

Now what ?

craigslist usually turns up a few doors. i just replaced my drivers door on my 98 and when i searched i was surprised how many xjs were being parted out around me and im in CT

Cut it out, patch it in, then paint it black or bed line it.

Darn near every XJ I have owned gets rust on the bottom of the doors.
The pinch weld at the bottom seems to be a collection point.
Some folks who mod their rigs spray that under coating stuff on the lower doors. That just makes finding the rust before it has done real damage hard and the repair just that more difficult.

I take a dental pick and pick out all the rust at the pinch weld and separate it a bit. Then I take a grinder and go over the bottom edge of the door (inside and out) real good so it is bare.

Then I take a rust converter compound like Permatex Rust Treatment http://www.permatex.com/products/pr...-interior-trim/permatex-rust-treatment-detail and a brush and coat the living snot out of the pinch weld and where I hit it with a grinder earlier and let it sit.

Then I pinch the weld back together with a pliers and do a reasonable Bondo job on the outer door skin where I ground it down, then I paint it.

I need to do my 2001. PO undercoated the lower doors. Not looking forward to this.

You poor guys back east! Take a vaca out to california, get those doors all day long rust free for 25 bucks! I know getting them back there could be a problem. Shipping is pricey.

I shipped a gutted VW bug door from San Diego to Brooklyn last month for 75 bucks. Greyhound is your friend with big pieces. Spent about 20 bucks building a 1x6 frame around the door. It arrived without any damage. If you're willing to kick in some extra coin, you could probably get one of the $25 junk yard doors to you for 150ish.

I have the same problem, I'm going to grind out the rust & recoat, Then I am going to use a little old time rust preventer, I should have done years ago.
An old guy I used to work with told me to prevent rust on door bottoms "Spray a little motor oil inside the door" & you will never have a door rust problem.

Back