• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Miss under light load only?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
I've been reading miss fire threads all morning but haven't found my particular situation...

My '01XJ needs to have the pre-cats replaced as I've been getting a CEL w/code P0432 for going on 1 year now... never effected the way my XJ runs so haven't got around to replacing yet.

My symptoms... Idles perfect ~ 700 rpms. When the rig is in Park, and you rev the engine it purrs like a kitten... no miss at all. When my jeep is cold and you put in gear and start giving light throttle, there is a very slight miss (consistent miss like a hole in the exhaust or a ticking... don't see any holes on the exhaust or leaking). If you give it more gas, like trying to pass or get on the highway... then I don't hear or feel the miss. Only when lightly giving it gas.

The plugs were changed about 20K miles back so I don't think they're bad. I have swapped out the fuel injectors for the 4-hole 794's (about 6 months back) and as I recall that's about the same time this started. Not sure if they're the case or what. Honestly not sure it's a miss at all, but maybe just a 'ticking' sound. This one really has me scratching my head....

Could it be in the transmission?

Any ideas what could cause a miss, only under light load and one that doesn't seem to effect the driving of the XJ only what it sounds like? I'm stumped...

Check the plugs to the injectors. Then swap stock injectors back in and see what happens. Could be a bad gasket on the exhaust header.

What does a transmission have do do with an engine miss?

Thanks... will check that.

Not sure the tranny would have anything to do with it... but this one has me scratching my head so just threw that out there... :)

Back