• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wobbly in the warm, Solid in the cold?

Hotwire

NAXJA Forum User
Iv got an '88. Its my DD. During the winter I was able to drive it right up to 115kph with very minor shimmy at around 100kph. Now that its going above 0c, It starts to wobble around 90kph, and fairly strongly at that.

The thing is... In the morning when Im on my way to work, its 0c or below, on my way home from work 9 hours later, Its between 5c and 10c. And I get the wobble then. But then in the morning again when its cold, Its solid again.

I know this has to be temp related, because on the few days that it was warmer in the morning, it wobbeled on the way to work as well. So I dont believe its a time related issue. as well as it was solid all winter long. Iv had JustJeeps in toronto, and Staangs Fab in Burlington both look at the Suspension, and they both say its tight. The alignment was done by TireCraft/Brant tire in Brantford.

Has anyone ran into this befor? and if so. how did you deal with it? :helpme:

My ride is as follows :
  • 1988 XJ Larado
  • 4.0l
  • Auto
  • NP242
  • 31" BFG All Terrain KO
  • 15 x 10 D window rims
  • RC 4.5" springs and leafs
  • RC N2 Shocks
  • RC Stabilizer
  • Deleted Rear Sway Bar
  • Staangs Fab Adjustable LCAs
  • Ford 8.8 Rear 3.55
  • Dana 30 Non-Disco 3.55

I was thinking the same, But what in the tires would cause that? a bad belt would ALWAYS be noticable, everything should be constant... shouldnt it?? I was also thinking it could be the steering box its self??

Hell if I know. Just an easy test to swap the tires front to back.

Eh. Doubtful on the power steering. Your box would have to be damn sloppy for that to happen I would think.

Tonight, I will swap tires front to back and report back. I'll see if I can borrow a set of tires and rims this weekend and go for a drive, and see if that narrows it down. But the tires are freshly mounted and balanced (6 months ago) and have done it from the get go.

If not tire related, Is it possible you have an issue that your cold steering stabilizer, cold shocks or cold bushings are able to mask, but are unable to mask as they warm up?

Did this start with the new tires (6 months ago)?

yeah it started 6 months ago, its been doing it all along. but I did a lot of work at the same time. New front wheel bearings, 4.5" lift, and 8.8" rear end.

If it started when you got your tires then they must have something to do with it.My rig get wobble when cold but after the bushings warm up it goes away and I can go 85 MPH all day on the freeway and I know its my lower control arm bushings because Ive replaced everything else and it kept getting better.

Did you or someone hit a bad spot; bump, pothole, curb, etc? I did once; a solid ice-hole tire sized ditch axle deep at about 20mph/18/kph, with my DD, and actually blew out a TRE zert.., and after that in warmer weather, the front end began to 'wobble' a bit, and then full on Death Wobbles occasionally thereafter.

The good input from many of those on this site put a match under my butt to utilize said, and fix 'der problem. :cheers:

Iv ordered new front U-joints, as well a new rear repair bearings for the 8.8. Im researching track bars, and looking at a cross over steering setup, or at least replacing my TRE's.

The Jeep wanders in heavy wind, or when an other vehicle over takes it. Its kind of unnerving at times.

What are the alignment specs?

Sounds funny but my 98 was doing the same thing. I'd leave for work at 4am and it was solid as a rock. But every day in the afternoon, it had a slight wobble between 50-60mph. It did this for months. I had ten different road force balanced tires including five brand new, and it didn't matter.

For me it boiled down to a few slightly worn bushings in the LCA's/trackbar and trial and error with toe adjustment. My stock Jeep doesn't wobble a bit no matter where the toe is set, but the XJ on 35's works best with .25" toe-in.

You'll have to check every thing from steering box bolts to ball joints. And no matter what shop did the alignment, double check their work. Some shops do 'just good enough' work to get by.

My LCA's are Ultra heavey duty Staangs Fab Adjustable's. Using Jonny Joints at both ends. THEY are rock solid. They were added AFTER the wobble had already started. I will have to go over the Alignment again, as the jeep pulls slightly to the right, when I turn left it pull right back to center, when I turn right I have to bring it back. That its self tells me there is an alignment issue. But I will do the TRE's, bearings and U-joints first. Id hate to get an alignment, replace all of that, and then get an other alignment.

After doing some reading... DO My Adjustable LCA's need to be the same length? or does one need to be 10mm longer then the other due to the wheel base diferences left from right?

Well, I removed the front drive shaft, and The wobble and the noise seems to be gone. I do have some rear end noise, Im guessing its also from the pinion angle.

My plan is...

-Measure the actual angle of the whole XJ via the frame rail.
-Im then also going to measure pinion to frame angle.
-Try to get it as close to 90 as possible.
-Re-Install the Front Axle Shaft and measure the pinion to shaft angle.

Same goes for the rear. Im sure that the rear is pretty close to perfect, Ill do the rear after Iv changed the Rear wheel bearings.

My guess is your alignment out of adjustment. You need to make sure your caster angle is proper and then your toe. Then recenter your steering wheel. You should still be able to run your front shaft without vibes at 4.5". If you still have wobble after al that then you have worn components.

Back