• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running Lights Issue

mbarker9

NAXJA Forum User
I took my old 99 XJ down some light trails this past weekend. We went through some small puddles (a few inches) but nothing to bad. Ive put her through a lot worse before. But after we got back I noticed my left running lights are all out. The front one, the side marker and the rear left one are all out. The right side is fine. Before now I didn't realize they were all circuited together. I would go out and start looking around but its been hovering around 32 degrees here in Atlanta for the past week and I just don't feel like freezing my butt off. Is there a fuse for each side or should I be looking for a short somewhere in the wiring? Thanks everyone

I took my old 99 XJ down some light trails this past weekend. We went through some small puddles (a few inches) but nothing to bad. Ive put her through a lot worse before. But after we got back I noticed my left running lights are all out. The front one, the side marker and the rear left one are all out. The right side is fine. Before now I didn't realize they were all circuited together. I would go out and start looking around but its been hovering around 32 degrees here in Atlanta for the past week and I just don't feel like freezing my butt off. Is there a fuse for each side or should I be looking for a short somewhere in the wiring? Thanks everyone

Don't have the FSM or Owner's Manual with me at the moment, but according to Google the left is on JB fuse 7 (10A), and the right is on JB fuse 23 (10A).

Google "Jeep Cherokee fuses" or something like that. Lots of images of the JB and a table that lists the fuse numbers and their associated circuits. It looks like part of it came from the FSM, so I don't think we're allowed to post it here.

Did you happen to hit something on the "Tight Trails"?
If so, I'd look behind the damage.

Otherwise, you know what doesn't work. That's a good starting point.
Pull all the affected bulbs. Is the short still there (A VOM is your friend at this juncture).

If not, start plugging bulbs in until it comes back or you find the wire which is pinched to ground.

Back