• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch light wiring

Devilfrog

NAXJA Forum User
So after much searching I've lots of replacement info, but no actual wiring specs on those replacements.

So ... anyone know what wire are what on the thre prong plug for a 2000 XJ rear hatch light?
Colors are -
Purple
Yellow
Pink

I'd like to add a switch in similar fashion to the stock 'pop' light function ... But just on/off with the hatch/doors is fine.

So after much searching I've lots of replacement info, but no actual wiring specs on those replacements.

So ... anyone know what wire are what on the thre prong plug for a 2000 XJ rear hatch light?
Colors are -
Purple
Yellow
Pink

I'd like to add a switch in similar fashion to the stock 'pop' light function ... But just on/off with the hatch/doors is fine.

From memory (verify with a multimeter before cutting/splicing any wires):

Pink - Hot (unswitched)
Yellow - Grounded when any door other than the hatch opens, or dome lights are tuned on at the headlight switch
Purple - Grounded when the rear hatch is opened

Colors are -
Purple
Yellow
Pink

Explain a little more here what you're trying to do. What I'm getting from that is you want to be able to turn the lights off when the hatch is open? The OEM cargo lamp already has that feature.

My OEM switch and light melted together (the switch itself fried).

I want to wire in an LED light and seperate switch to replace the craptastic OEM design.

My OEM switch and light melted together (the switch itself fried).

I want to wire in an LED light and seperate switch to replace the craptastic OEM design.

If your intention is to simply make an "off" switch, I would switch the pink one -- it's the hot wire.

From memory (verify with a multimeter before cutting/splicing any wires):

Pink - Hot (unswitched)
Yellow - Grounded when any door other than the hatch opens, or dome lights are tuned on at the headlight switch
Purple - Grounded when the rear hatch is opened

Correct
Correct
My FSM Shows GR/BK changing to VT/YL at one of the connectors between the lamp module and the switch in the hatch.

If your intention is to simply make an "off" switch, I would switch the pink one -- it's the hot wire.
If you want it to work like the OEM design splice the YL and GY/BK wires together, and add your switch between those two wires and the lamp. If you would like to change it so it will continue to light up regardless of the switch position when any other door other than the hatch is opened place the switch in line with only the GY/BK wire. Doing it either way will still allow you to turn off all the lamps when the hatch is open.

OK, but after fiddling with the wiring a bit what I want to happen does not require the whole switch bit ... am I safe to splice the lights ground into the Yellow and the Purple tied together and then pos to pink without causing any issues further back (I'm guessing no but wanted to check)? I mean I can splice and terminate and connect with the rest of them, it's the result I sometimes botch as I'm no electrical guru ... I'm fine with grounds and hot leads, it's the spaghetti in between that gets me.

Thanks

Dave

Just been finding all sorts of nifty LEDs at Walsmart lately ... anything to reduce the load on my stock micro wiring.

OK, but after fiddling with the wiring a bit what I want to happen does not require the whole switch bit ... am I safe to splice the lights ground into the Yellow and the Purple tied together and then pos to pink without causing any issues further back (I'm guessing no but wanted to check)? I mean I can splice and terminate and connect with the rest of them, it's the result I sometimes botch as I'm no electrical guru ... I'm fine with grounds and hot leads, it's the spaghetti in between that gets me.

Thanks

Dave

Just been finding all sorts of nifty LEDs at Walsmart lately ... anything to reduce the load on my stock micro wiring.

That factory switch was melted in my Jeep too. From what I gather, that happens a lot.

Yes, you can safely tie the yellow an purple wires together, but don't ground them. If you do, the lights won't go off when you close the doors.

Thanks

Dave

Yes. There will be no problems

Your Pink wire is the hot, and the other two are grounds. Yellow one is grounded when any door is opened the other one grounds when the hatch is opened. They are actually connected together in the OEM switch. The only thing you gain by adding the switch is the ability to turn off the interior lights when the hatch is open.

Back