• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats your rigs purpose

jpthrils

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 cherokee and I'm a ways into my build. Now, all I'm wanting to do right now is...
RE 3.5in SF kit
30-31in tires
D44 with locker
D30 HP with locker
HD front bumper with recovery points
HD rear bumper w/tire swing and recovery points
Rock sliders
TC skid
Gas tank skid

In your experianced opinion, as described, should this be a somewhat capable rig?
My purpose for my build is reliable daily driver and something I can use to go exploring in and use it for camping trips. Of corse I enjoy the building part too, looking for parts, drinking some brews and what not.
Ok, so that's my purpose and my to do list.
What's yours?

Sounds like a winner I'd say.

31x10.50's on 3.5 seems to be a popular build and I wouldn't imagine you'd break things very easily especially with a 44 out back. Only thing I'd personally change is the lift kit as far as the springs/coils/shocks... OME stuff rides soo nice.

3.5 on 31s is a great combo, even better with lockers front and rear. seems like you have everything in the list to make a very capable rig. i run a similar setup on my MJ, but im still a long ways off as far as parts collecting goes. only difference is i want to end up on 33s with the same lift, and im trying to build my suspension to be able to go a little faster

As of right now I already have and installed the RE 3.5in lift. sitting on 30-31in tires. Front locker is installed. Front bumper is built and installed.
I have my D44 with locker sitting in my garage waiting for install. And my rear bumper is almost complete.
Still need skids and roc sliders.
And of corse I've done lots of general repair: head gasket, freze plugs, water pump, thermostat, full tune up, new crank sensor, new distributor, new ZJ front steering components... the list goes on.
I also came across a good deal on a Rola roof rack and a couple other misc goodies.
Can't wait to take I out on an actual run and test everything out.

Sounds to me like you just need to take it out already and have some fun.. It sounds pretty built as is, unless you plan on doing John Bull trail from east to west as your first legitimate run....which might not be the best idea...

And post some pics already :)

no no, no john bull for me.
just capable enough to have a good time.
heres a pic my wife took. we went up to cleghorn a while ago... easy trails only :D

hulk_zps64c9bc2a.jpg

Gears...
C.B...
First aid kit...
Tire plug kit...
A 12v. compressor with a higher CFM rating...

Personally having gone with auto lockers all these years I'd seriously look into a selectable locker...

It looks like you've already got what you need for what you're wanting to do... just refine it to your liking...

Nice rig...

Curt

ive always shot for a all around long lasting rig i was shooting for a fully plated tow point skidded low lifted rig with 32's for this rig. it ended up taller than i hoped for its at 5" and 33's

my rigs purpose is getting me to work. i plan to use it eventually to drag my wife away from civilization for 4 -5 days

Sounds like want I want mine to do haha! I live right next to the Pismo Beach dunes so playing out there's my main thing, but being my DD I'm not trying to make a prerunner out of her

- 3.5 ome
- 31's
- swap out lp30 for hp30, 29 spline 8.25 in rear is plenty
- cooling upgrade (e-fan, hood vents and 3 row)
- armor (sliders and skids)
- front and rear ARB lockers ($$$ :( )

Im a broke a$$ college kid workin at a gas station to pay for life so might be awhile, plus everything's a learnin exp. cuz I started off barely knowing how to change oil but now i love wrenching on my baby.

Done alot of stuff to her, none that's on that list but ill get there. Just got my Lebaron's in :) can't wait to take an angle grinder to my pretty hood

Last edited:
no no, no john bull for me.
just capable enough to have a good time.
heres a pic my wife took. we went up to cleghorn a while ago... easy trails only :D

hulk_zps64c9bc2a.jpg

Get 2 things on there,

1) frame stiffeners. I didn't do this on my 91 and the frame rails are beat to heck. Plus it keeps your floor boards from buckling, I'll post pictures of what happens. :)

2) Rocker protection and some armor underneath to protect it.

well built my bronco to be a trail ready rig. i love going camping with the family so i also want to keep it street legal.

same with my jeep i wanna keep it simple small lift so my wife and my little girl can follow me in the bronco.

You've built a capable rig.

I'll second the frame stiffeners. A loaded rig running around our local FS roads and desert trails will eventually cause things to start to crack.

Swaybar disconnects should be added to the list.

I built mine up to pick up fat chicks

You lowered it so they can get in....personally I went the other way, ten inches of lift just about guarantees no fat chick can climb in.

Got a tommy lift gate :p

You lowered it so they can get in....personally I went the other way, ten inches of lift just about guarantees no fat chick can climb in.

:laugh:

The purpose when I built my rig was to have something that would go anywhere, anytime, in any conditions.

Success.

Agree, same here!

Back