• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squealing under the hood

Jeepguy91

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
For a while now we have been having a problem with our 2000 xj having a squealing noise coming from under the hood. I have it narrowed down to either the idler pulley or power steering pump cause that is where i hear it when it first starts up. Now my question is, if the pump was going out, wouldn't that make it hard to turn when you are driving it? We have no weird problems when turning the wheel and it doesn't seem to be struggling to turn the tires. And its not just when it is cold that it squeals. It can be warmed up and when you leave a stop light it will start to squeal. The belt is also i good condition with no cuts or frays or anything on it. Just wondering if it is indeed the pump or maybe something else?

Thanks,
Ben

Spray your belt with soapy water, then fire it up. If it goes away then it's between belt/pulley somewhere. Idler pulley is cheap/easy fix. Also check play in your mech fan pulley bearing.

Ok i will try that tomarrow. The noise is coming from the driver side so i think it is something over there. I know i can buy a new idler pulley but what about the belt tentioner? Mine is froze stuck and im afraid if i try to turn it to much that it is going to break.

"hear it when it first starts up"

Defroster setting "ON" and the a/c compressor is engaging when the belt is cold?

Back