• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Insulation: What's this used for?

Crist Clapper

NAXJA Forum User
There appears to be a void in my new hood-insulation... Attached and circled. Help?
XJHoodPad_zpsf8586ea4.png

Early Cherokees have a retractable hood lamp/work lamp located there.

I do have the retractable lamp... But mine is mounted to the left of this opening. Might you have a photo?

Early Cherokees have a retractable hood lamp/work lamp located there.

Pull the hood down real slow so it doesn't latch and this will let you see what it was removed for.I think thats the hose area is it not? I would have to go out and look at mine, but that won't be till later.Sorry

That is where the hoses come out of the water pump. My 88 has the OEM insulation with the same cut out. Upper right cut out is for the latch assembly and lower left is for the light.

Your pic is a little misleading because your insulation is not really in place

I do have the retractable lamp... But mine is mounted to the left of this opening. Might you have a photo?

I will see if the opening is to give clearance... On the thought that it is for the lamp... The bracket is too far to the left (see photo). But... I agree, but the shapes suggest where it could/should be mounted to match the opening in the insulation. To make it work... I'd have to relocated the lamp mounting-bracket. Something to ponder...

XJInsul_zps3ea12ff9.png

That is not the area for the hood light assy on any of my Renix era rigs either (IIRC, I will check it later).

Also that does not look like the right insulation for the Renix era.

12035.56-500x500.jpg

420111d1340396637-underhood-light-1990-xj-p1070931.jpg

Edit: On second thought, may the insulation is just not in the right place yet, as mentioned below.

Last edited:
On your second photo... It appears the insulation was manually cut-out to accommodate the lamp...

That is not the area for the hood light assy on any of my Renix era rigs either (IIRC, I will check it later).

Also that does not look like the right insulation for the Renix era.

12035.56-500x500.jpg

420111d1340396637-underhood-light-1990-xj-p1070931.jpg

Edit: On second thought, may the insulation is just not in the right place yet, as mentioned below.

Did they come from the factory like that? I've seen a billion Cherokees in the junkyard here in CNY and never seen one with a hood blanket.

That is where the hoses come out of the water pump. My 88 has the OEM insulation with the same cut out. Upper right cut out is for the latch assembly and lower left is for the light.

Your pic is a little misleading because your insulation is not really in place

I went out and looked at my 88 OEM hood insulation before I posted the above reply.

That is the clearance spot for XJs/MJs with certain radiator hoses, I am not sure if it is the with AC radiator hose or the without AC one. One loops around the AC compressor sorta, the other does not.

Heater hoses and rad hose will rub right there, i am out working on mine and looked.I have the same cut out in the front just like yours.

Mine is a 89

Do you have the lamp too? If so... Where is it mounted?

Heater hoses and rad hose will rub right there, i am out working on mine and looked.I have the same cut out in the front just like yours.

Mine is a 89

That's the exact spot where one of my cooling hoses rubs on the hood. Maybe there's not enough clearance for material there.

Same on mine, and mine is an OEM 87 Wagoneer, Like Chris has. I checked mine on my 89 Cherokee today, and it has the same hole right over the water pump outlet hose to the radiator.

Back