• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Failed Visual SMOG due to CARB approved Catalytic Converter??

NeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi... been some time...

Anyway- after having previously failed smog due to (slightly) high NOx readings - I went back (this time to AAA since it was about half the price and they retest for free!) and got a 'chemical pass' but the guy failed me because my cat (I think it was a Magnaflow or something) wasn't the 'model specified' for my XJ. Now - it's kind of OLD - but heck - I PASSED - so isn't that all that really matters? But I recall 12 years ago or so -after installing it the first time having to show the DMV something with regard to the CARB approval...

so my question is - (i know i'm being a tightwad for not buying a new one - but seems kind of wasteful if the old one is working) - does anyone know my options at this point in terms of asking the DMV to go on the prior approval - or would I need to figure out the make and model of the cat and get paperwork from the manufacturer etc to take to the DMV - or is there some sort of age restriction on cats...??

Thanks in advance.

The new 2013 CA smog rules have the smog shops shaking in their boots. Here's how you handle a problem with a visual inspection, which I've found to be a bit subjective.

Wait a week and then go to a different smog place. Before you let him put the Jeep on the rack, casually ask the smog guy if it will pass visual. If he looks at it and says no, don't waste your money. If he says yes, you know you're good without spending any money.

Obviously do not mention that someone else failed it. The state now tracks your car as it moves through different smog shops. If one guy passes it and then the next guy fails it, the first guy gets a strike on his account. Too many strikes and the state takes you out. It's actually pretty messed up considering that a smog shop has no control over what the owner will do to a vehicle after it leaves his shop, but the shop owner will be penalized if the next shop fails it two years later.

Last edited:
well it's a legal cat... and it should NOT fail. That's what I'm asking about. or do the new laws make previously legal cats NOT pass?

Re: Re: Failed Visual SMOG due to CARB approved Catalytic Converter??

well it's a legal cat... and it should NOT fail. That's what I'm asking about. or do the new laws make previously legal cats NOT pass?

California recently changed the law because they need money. Had a customer with this issue recently. You have to go to your local ref with proof that it was installed before the change. They will sign of on it and you will be good to go.
My boss had contacted bar Apr it and they said it will fly if the ref gives it a pass.

California recently changed the law because they need money. Had a customer with this issue recently. You have to go to your local ref with proof that it was installed before the change. They will sign of on it and you will be good to go.
My boss had contacted bar Apr it and they said it will fly if the ref gives it a pass.

okay- this is more along the lines of what i was looking for - (thanks to the others though) - hmmm... I guess I'll just have to call. Not sure how much proof (if any) i can dig up!

Aftermarket automolbile devices may violate California smog laws. Exceptions are made and aftermarket devices are approved individually by Executive Order.

I went through the same thing at AAA two years ago. The technician was not able to find the Executive Orders that permitted my aftermarket air intake or my headers. So I went online at home, looked them up, and went back to AAA with the EO numbers and had no further problem.

Go to this website and look for the Executive Order for your cat:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

Good luck.

okay- thanks - that should start getting the ball rolling. I just called the DMV directly- I guess you have to get them to call you back now...

NimRod - you mean i have to prove to the Air Resources Board that I had an ARB approved cat? Surely you jest... isn't that what the DMV is for... making sure motorists comply with DMV and ARB policy?

I'm just going to reiterate that you can avoid the referee situation next time by confirming with the tech that your Jeep will pass visual innspection before you start the official test.

NimRod - you mean i have to prove to the Air Resources Board that I had an ARB approved cat? Surely you jest... isn't that what the DMV is for... making sure motorists comply with DMV and ARB policy?

No, you don't have to prove anything to the ARB. The ARB maintains a database of Executive Orders approving aftermarket parts that affect emissions. So if your AAA smog check technician can't confirm that there is such an EO allowing the use of your cat on your rig, then you can save yourself a headache by looking it up yourself at the link I provided earlier and proving to the technician that your cat is OK.

In fact, here is a direct link to the ARB's Aftermarket Catalytic Converter Database:

https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/PartsSearchTool/CatalystSearchTool.aspx

Just enter the year, make, model and engine size for your rig and you will get a list of all the approved cats. Show the AAA guy that your cat is approved and he will feel confident that he is not putting his license or his job in jeaopardy by issuing the smog certificate.

Thanks -yeah I saw that one...

Doesn't have anything for a 92... but it looks like they want me to PROVE that it was installed at the time it was before anything else... ugh... so i have to start digging through receipts I guess... and then go see an ARB referee..

Some smog places will perform the test and you are only required to pay if you pass. Sounds like many laws have changed so that may not be the case anymore.

Some places are still no pass/no pay. You just have to find them.
But, at this point the only options are to prove it was installed before they changed the law, or get a new CARB approved cat.

I thought this rule was for 96 and up.

Incorrect. All cat-equipped vehicles need CARB approved catalyst. But as stated, the state of CA needs money, so they have implemented a law for a CA "specific" catalyst required for vehicles. Used to be as long as it is CARB approved for your year/newer than it was acceptable. They are still, technically, but you have to prove it was installed prior to the law change. What used to be a 50-state legal CARB catalyst is only 49-state, and CA required a "CA" approved CARB catalyst. It's basically their way of screwing everyone into giving them more money.

Well - after getting the ultimatum from the smog tech at AAA - being told he'd pass me only if I get a new cat, I buckled and spend $200. Well- I can't believe the numbers now. RIDICULOUSLY LOW. I'm AMAZED. Really. I didn't think a new 'low flow' cat would work. If anything I figured it would choke the engine and make the NOx numbers SKYROCKET. Only problem is now I'm getting major lurching and hesitation when I try to open her up on the freeways... UGH.

another weird thing - since they welded the new cat on - suddenly my oil, battery and gas gauges are all but dead... any chance that was due to some inept welding technique by the muffler shop? Guess I should ask on a new thread...

Back