• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve Cover Question.

Kingkong0192

NAXJA Forum User
Picture below is my valve cover.

I ran it through an old dishwasher to clean off the milkshake from coolant leaking into my oil via a cracked head.

Worked great!

Anyways, it kind of melted the two PCV valves/grommets/whatever they're called. I just pulled them both out completely and threw them away. (The hole to the left of the oil fill cap and to the right.)

What do i need to buy to fix this? I don't know what the part is called. I think i'm missing 3 parts on each side.

Also, while i'm asking about valve covers, when i put the new one on, do i install the gasket dry, or do i use RTV as well, or what?

0AE47058-01A6-455E-B944-3CCBDCB8CCF7-14310-00000A25AD06AA75_zps7225f768.jpg

You can get what you need from auto parts stores. These are listed by O'Reilly auto Parts.

Both left and right holes - Grommet, BWD # PCV943

Left hole (Firewall end) - CCV Fixed Orifice Fitting, Dorman # 47057

Right hole (Radiator end) - Crankcase Vent Fitting, BWD # EC242

Valve Cover gasket - Felpro # VS50458R

Sidewinder answered this one correctly. KingKong, if you bought the head gasket for the repair, did you buy the whole set? I did, and it had all the gaskets to do the repair, to include the valve cover Permatorque reusable blue rubber valve cover gasket, intake/exhaust manifold gasket, thermostat, throttle body, O rings for the injectors, grommets for the valve cover bolts, head gasket, and the single exhaust flange gasket that mine doesn't need since it has the two separate exhaust manifolds with pre cats. One box covered the entire job and I didn't need anything else. The grommets are the same part number for front and rear. I got the rear CCV unit from the stealership, cost me like $8. Grommet for same also at the stealership for like $5. This way I had the exact part for the vehicle, all the while breaking my code of buying the same part somewhere else to save a buck and it not being right. My local parts stores here don't stock the firewall unit, which has the tiny fixed orifice needed to make the CCV system work correctly. By the way I used less than half a spray bottle of engine degreaser to clean my milkshake up and from what you indicated, mine was worse than yours and it still kind of looks like a brand new unit(after using up like 5 red shop towels to get the remaining gunk out). The aforementioned part numbers also cross correctly with the factory parts.

Jeff

My valve cover on mine had some metal inserts for the bolts. I pushed the grommets into their places, then pushed the metal inserts into place. Those prevent the bolts from damaging the grommets.

Jeff

Come apart? What do you mean?

Put some liquid dish soap on the grommet surfaces that will go into the VC hole and push them in.
What I mean't was does the elbow part come out of the grommet easily as I've already broken the ccv one the grommet seems to get brittle with age and heat

What I mean't was does the elbow part come out of the grommet easily as I've already broken the ccv one the grommet seems to get brittle with age and heat

I think you'll find that any fitting that has been installed on the VC for a long time will self-destruct trying to remove them. Just have new fittings and grommets ready to install.

Response # 1: Well, I'm not quite sure...I've never had any in my...heyyy...:nono:

Response #2: It comes in many flavors...I like the...heyyyy:nono:

Response #3: Ask your sister

Response #4: Ask MY sister...:cheers:

Last edited:
Response # 1: Well, I'm not quite sure...I've never had any in my...heyyy...:nono:

Response #2: It comes in many flavors...I like the...heyyyy:nono:

Response #3: Ask your sister

Response #4: Ask MY sister...:cheers:

That Kentucky Jelly is pretty bland. Had it on my toast once during a hospital stay.............

Alright guys, i have a little problem.

I bought the "CCV Fixed Orifice Fitting, Dorman # 47057" for my jeep.

However, i cant for the life of me find the

"Crankcase Vent Fitting, BWD # EC242"

anywhere on the advancedauto website. Is there another name for it? Something different i can buy? I kind of need this ASAP.

Here is what i currently have. The grommet is easily bought.

FC417E1C-993D-4F8D-A55D-5320D3A020F1-2658-000001DC671AE48E_zps2875475e.jpg

Back