• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lighting problems... HELP!!

eatsleepoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, this is a problem I just can't seem to figure out. On my '00 xj if I turn my parking lights on (first click on the headlight switch) my brake lights come on with the parking lights(including the third brake light). If my parking lights are off and I just press the brake pedal they come on as they should but the parking lights come on with them. Whats the problem here!?!?

The brake switch is working as it should.
All bulbs are good.
Nothing looks out of the ordinary.
I disconnected my trailer harness to eliminate that as well.

PLEASE HELP!

I don't have a trailer brake controller if that's what you mean. I disconnected the 4 pin connector harness that hooked into the oem harness on the rear driverside quarter panel.

I'd suspect a ground issue. I was having brake like issues, and found that refreshing the ground behind the drivers side tail light fixed it. That was an '89, so not sure it holds true with yours, but worth a try as it was an easy fix.

I don't have a trailer brake controller if that's what you mean. I disconnected the 4 pin connector harness that hooked into the oem harness on the rear driverside quarter panel.
And reconnected the OEM plugs right??

Try removing the Stop/Parking lamp bulbs. Then step on the brake pedal, and see if the symptom continues. If no then put one bulb back in and recheck. If yes swap bulb with the other bulb and retest. Repeat procedure on the other side if it works correctly. A multi meeter will also be your fried with this.

Back