• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 Removal

hoopty1111

NAXJA Forum User
I've begun dropping the tranny to repair a clutch issue and throw a clutch kit on (clips that hold the throwout bearing to the fork have broken off) and I have a few questions that i couldn't figure out from other write ups. So far i have got the driveshafts removed, starter off, tcase linkage disconnected, and speedo plug undone.

1) what exactly has to happen with the exhaust? do i just have to undo the two bolts coming off the header to the downpipe?
2) once i remove the crossmember, I can drop the trans and tcase some to allow access to get the the shifter release and the plugs up top that are hard to get to right? If so how much can i safely let it down without breaking anything?

Thanks

You can undo the shifter release pretty easily from inside the jeep - pull the trim ring for the inner shifter boot up carefully, if your outer shifter boot (the one attached to the floor) is anything like mine, it's in multiple pieces already so you can just reach through and undo the shifter release.

The transfer case shifter linkages are a bastard to get on and off as you already discovered I'm sure, but other than that, it's all pretty easy. Make sure you remove the CPS from the bellhousing before pulling it, or you'll tear it in half or bash it on the flywheel. Make sure to remove the bolts holding the inspection cover to the bellhousing from the front, there are several on each side. Yeah, all you have to do with the exhaust is drop it at the manifold flange.

The transfer case shifter linkages are a bastard to get on and off

you have to pop two arms out of their plastic fittings right? i used a long prybar. not sure how to get them back in though. i guess i might have to go find some of those plastic things

Yeah. Well, you have to pop them out of the plastic bushings until the damn thing comes out. It's no fun at all.

Definitely undo the top two e12s @ 1&11 o'clock before loosening the big two hexes @ 3&9 o'clock. I usually use 2.5-3 long extensions on the 3/8" ratchet and undo them from inside @ the shifter hole. It helps to have a 2nd person underneath locate and hold the bit on the bolt. The driver's side one is easy to get square from the hole, but the passenger side you will need to have the head of the ratchet to the right of the opening for the bit to hit the bolt square. You can drop the crossmember 3-4 inches to get easier access.

Back