• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CA Dog bite laws and bad owners.......need to vent a bit.....

mako my day

NAXJA Forum User
Long story short.... Son got charged and bit by a neighbors dog yesterday. I pulled my concealed pistol and almost shot it. Lot's of kids were outside playing. Somehow I was able to compose myself, and re holster/conceal my weapon.
I am not in jail. Thankfully.

Second time this farcking dog has bit my kid.

CA law allowed them to keep the dog after a 2 week evaluation period the last time that this happened. Me, being the gentle, loving, caring, good lookin person that I am was fine with that. I didn't even consider suing at that time. He is a very good neighbor and friend.

I am now going to take this mother farcker to the cleaners. Now that I look back, this dog should have been put down back then. VERY aggressive animal.
Saint Bernard/Sheppard mix, about 70 pounds.

I just had to vent here. The puncture wounds on my son are big. Luckily no skin or muscle was torn or ripped, just punctured.

Attorney, home owners, cops, animal control have all been contacted.

Deep breathing............

Sucks man, hope your boy is okay.

A neighbor is someone you have to live with for a very long time usually. If there isn't permanent physical damage to your son (I know emotionally there will be) be gentle with the law suit. I don't mean to sound like I don't care, I just wouldn't want there to be bad blood in the neighborhood forever. I am a dog owner and have no kids, so my dog is like my son (as many owners feel)....it will be hard enough on them to lose the dog let alone lose some money too.

Second time will prove the dog agressive, they have no choice but to act on it. If Animal control gives you any hassle mention the attorney and mention that they failed to take appropriate action last time and will be added to the lawsuit. That will motivate even the laziest civil servant into action.

I'm sure you're doing this already, but make sure you get names and job titles of anyone you speak to with Animal Control and a badge number if in person. Document every conversation with anyone your neighbor, the cops, HOA anyone etc...

Good luck hope your son gets better soon.

Sorry dude, i had a dog come at me too. Wrote to animal control and they dismissed it. Showed them pics and all. Sometimes it tames more than once for them to do anything about it.

Hope your son is ok

My son was attacked by a dog a few years ago and suffered some severe wounds. He still has some bad scars from it. I didn't sue the owner because it was a fluke and the kids were not properly handling the dog. The dog qas put down though because it was deemed too much of a risk. I would contact the neighbor's home insurance company, they may hold some liability for it. Don't expect to make bank, they usually only cover medical expenses.

sorry to hear your son was bit, hope he is ok.
i am a huge dog lover. but i also know that owning a dog is a great responsibility. sounds like the first bite was handled accordingly. but once the owner knows his dog has the behavior he/she must take precautions. a second offense should have much more serious repercussions.
i am on the other end of something like this. i had an 80 year old man pull up my drive, get out and start walking around my property. he saw the neighbors little dog coming toward him on the other side of chainlink fence, but made him nervous. suddenly my huge dog came from behind the house and barked. startling the old man he tried to run without looking where he was going and scraped his leg (shin) on a tie down loop welded to the end of my flatbed trailer. i called my dog back, secured the dog, then went to talk with the old man. he said he was looking for an address (sure). i look at his leg and see the scrape but nothing was said. he leaves, comes back 15 minutes later with his wife and says my dog bit him. sheriffs, animal control, the whole bit. animal control said they wanted to take my dog for 10 days quarantine. i said your not taking my dog, and explained everything. so the dog stayed home with my word he would not leave the property for 1 week. but now my dog has 1 strike and listed as an aggressive animal. sure we need to allways be cautious of when our dogs are near humans, but now i need to be extremely cautious in fear of loosing my dog. i understand the law and yes i feel it needs to be this way. my situation sucks because it really did not happen, but in your case it did and sounds like it may continue. i think you have every right to do everything in your power to keep your son and all the other kids in the area safe. i have no problem pissing off a neighbor when the well being and safety of everyone is a concern. sounds like your neighbor needs to rethink dog ownership. it used to be having a dog was a family pet. no it seems it is a status symbol. am i tough because i have a tough dog? no, i am tough because i have the balls to piss off my neighbor when he/she is irresponsible.

Luckily my son turned away as it charged. Unfortunately this was complete neglect on the home owners part.
I know it sounds harsh, but I want that liability gone forever. This is the third bite this dog has given. Why is it not dead yet, I have no idea. Maybe it will be soon.

First attack, I completely accepted the apology with a handshake, and they gave my son a cool little toy as a peace offering. All was good with the world.

Doc instructed us to keep him home from school today, and to come back tomorrow to check for infection.

Brandon.....If you are reading this, this happened 10 minutes after you left my place.

That's bull. I would do my best to put that dog down. The owners should be doing it by themselves.

The next kid might not be so lucky.

My sister was almost killed by a co-workers dog. It's not alive anymore and my sister is out of debt. Funny thing is she started a pet care business and walks dogs (among other things) for a living. It's sad when a dog must die when it's the owner that is at fault. But the safety of your son is far more important.

We had a shelter rescue puppy, was pitched as a black lab. Turned out to have a lot of mix in him, he was great in the house but antsy as hell out doors. He bolted out the door like that a few time. One time he charged out and got a bite on an old lady.

Dog was gone the next day and my wife drive the lady to all her doctor appointments. All the while I was worried about getting sued.

Your neighbor NEEDS to step up to the play and make sure 1)your kid gets fixed and 2) the problem gets removed.

If your kid has serious injuries or might have some complications in the future, you should consider filing a claim. His policy will likely pay just to put the claim behind them. BUT this gets messy and will result in crappy neighbor relationship, unless one of you move.

Have you tried just talking to your neighbor and calmly explaining your position?

i understand your frustration but like others said, this is someone you have to live next to for a while so dont get to agressive with it. For many people, putting down a family pet is a very hard and emotional thing to do and it will probably cloud judgement a bit. like 88trailcrawler said, talk to him first and express your position calmly. if he isnt willing to do anything, then take it to the next level. I think putting in an insurance claim is a good idea since infection is probable with dog bites and you want to be covered in case it gets expensive.

Shoot it and bring it to my wife where she'll cook it and we can eat it :)

Back