• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On-board air vs. portable air compressor

philagony94xj

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering what others have tried. I am wanting to know what works/doesn't. This is basically just going to be used to air up tires after hitting a trail.

Basically is it worth the time/monies/hassle of plumbing a dedicated on-board air system by either using the A/C compressor or a small air compressor mounted in the engine compartment?

Is it just easier/economical to buy a portable compressor like a Viair or similar system?

I am leaning towards just a simple portable unit like this Viairunit.

Dont worry there will be no opinion bashing here. I dont claim to know it all so any input will be accepted.

I have onboard air because I have an air locker. It's a Viar continuous duty compressor with a 3 gallon tank. I also use it for an airhorn. It takes up room, takes some looking after, meh. If I did it all over, I'd have eaton e-lockers, and a CO2 tank.

I was contemplating using my AC compressor as part of OBA system. But with my mech fan pulley crapping out, and getting a new to me bracket I am going to relocate my alternator.
I am still considering a compressor installed, small tank and lines to the front and back. Seems like less money than a powertank, but I need to figure out the cost of parts and such.

You can check my build thread, but I took a lot of notes from XJEEPER's setup (he has a thread in mod tech too).

I have a continuous duty VIAIR setup as well with a small tank. Works great for my rear locker and to fill up tires. I wouldn't have bought it for power tools though.

No need to worry about filling up a tank every so often.

You can check my build thread, but I took a lot of notes from XJEEPER's setup (he has a thread in mod tech too).

I have a continuous duty VIAIR setup as well with a small tank. Works great for my rear locker and to fill up tires. I wouldn't have bought it for power tools though.

No need to worry about filling up a tank every so often.
how big is your tank?

Good info Guys. Thanks for the responses.

Thinking now I might buy the Portable Viair to keep in the Jeep and install a small tank/compressor in the M416 I picked up this week. That way I have renewable/semi-cheap air at ALL times.

Plans can and do change so I'll keep brainstorming and watching other folks builds for ideas.

Phil. I love my CO2 for trail work. But with the way you are building your rig. I would think about on board air. Have you seen the WJ on Expo with all of it in the spare tire well? Nice place to put it all in your rig.

John

I have had a viair 400P for years now.

it's handy because I keep it in my DD, since realistically the jeep only gets used a few times a year.

I also use it for the tow rig since it's in a barn with no power and I have to inflate tires to 105PSI before it goes down the road.

I vote portable.
CO2 if you want it to run tools.

I have a Viair 450C mounted behind the pass rear quarter panel...panel. Hooked to a 2 gal tank behind the seat. I love this system. It's always there when I need it. I never worry about running out of juice when I need it and the only thing that really takes up room is the tank but it's mounted in front of my cargo box in the back so I don't really notice.

You got me thinking though. Since I always have my trailer I should install another tank there with quick disconnects. The extra air would be nice when it comes time to air up tires.

Phil. I love my CO2 for trail work. But with the way you are building your rig. I would think about on board air. Have you seen the WJ on Expo with all of it in the spare tire well? Nice place to put it all in your rig.

John

Yes John I have seen that build. That's the way I would go if I were to put it all in my truck. Its not in the way for storage and will get semi-clean air from inside the truck.

I like the idea of having a small tank on the trailer somewhere that way it can air up the trailer tires without getting everything out from the back of the Jeep.

Just a thought.

I have CO2 and enjoy it.

That said I've got ARBs and an associated compressor and will be plumbing it for additional air one day. CO2 does run out if you don't plan well (or, say, have a leaky valve).

I have C02 and use it for ARBs and tires. Pros: Quiet, simple, high volume and pressure. Cons: Limited supply, expensive to fill - all the shops around here started doing cylinder exchange only, so 10lb tank is about $30.

I'm going to keep the tank for lockers only and mount a Viair for tires.

Highly recommend the 450C. My only complaint is more storage capacity, as I only run a 2 gal tank. I've love to have an aluminum tank built to the dimensions of the storage space under my driver's side rear seat.

100_2372.jpg

My OBA/ARB manual switch setup: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913774&page=6

I'm a big fan of CO2. You don't have to spend the big money on the Powertank kits and whatnot either.

Just a plain ol' 20 lb CO2 tank and a oxy regulator off of Ebay. Less than 150 bucks usually to get the setup. Just make sure it doesn't have a siphon tube in it. You want one without a Siphon tube. It takes a long time to run a 20 lb unit down unless you are airing up a lot of big tires.

I use a Viar Portable compressor fast on air ups on 33x12:50's from 17 to 32 psi continuous duty and @170 psi. Really nice kit everything included that you will need.

Back