• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR Sliders and Frame Stiffening

Jhumphrey

NAXJA Forum User
So Im getting ready to order some sliders for the jeep. I havent decided on which "stage" slider yet, but I know Im going to order JCR. They have 3 different stages (here). What all do you suggest there? I was thinking of just going with stage 1 to keep the neat and clean lines of the xj, but thought maybe the 2 or 3 would give better protection against "close" objects on the trails. Stage 1's do stick out some as well.

My next question is about stiffeners. I was thinking of getting either TnT or HD (most likely HD, it's the way Im leaning right now). The question is, are they needed if I put the JCR sliders on? The sliders bolt to the unibody and pinch seem (install page), but have a fairly large gap in between contact points. I also read on Pirate that under body frame stiffeners offer some protection against "tuna can flex", but that you only really gain the benefit if you cage your xj. Since I move people and equipment with mine, I have no intention of caging the xj.

Basically, Im getting the sliders regardless. Im just trying to figure out if the stiffeners are worth putting on or not. I plan to do the work myself (welding with the help of a buddy) and I heard that its "iffy" on welding the unibody because of its thin sheet metal composite, so Im a bit weary of it right now...

If you wheel you need stiffeners, take your time welding the rossets and its pretty easy to weld to the unibody "frame".

Last edited:
Do the frame stiffeners! My rails pull out of my frame on big hits and dent the body. You can just weld the rails to the stiffeners and not bother with drilling and bolting. Easier install. Welding to the unibody isn't bad if you are comfortable with welding on different thickness metals. Practice some 20ga to 10ga on the bench and then you'll be fine. Frame prep is also important. Get a couple good 40 grit flapwheels for the grinder and get all that epoxy corrosion crap off first.

Thanks all. So which stiffener would be a better choice: TnT or HD? I'm thinking hd because it's ready for plug welds and then stitch welding. TnT doesn't appear to have the holes drilled for plugs.

I am very happy with my Hd Offroad Stiffeners , I can feel the difference in the stiffness of my jeep.
Also I can open and close the hatch while flexed out , before the hatch wouldnt line up if opened while flexing.

If you want to wheel and own your XJ long term i highly recommend them .

As far as the sliders I did 2x6 rocker replacement and had a tube bent for an outer tube.
I liked the nice tight look without the tube step , So I did not install the outer tube.

They fit nice and tight like the stage 1's but after using them for a while i noticed the rear door trim stuck out a bit past them because the rear is wider. I ended up scraping down the plastic guard on the rear door on a rock but it didnt do too much damage.

I ended up putting the outer step on after trying to fit in between two tight trees and couldnt do it without dragging one down the side of my jeep.
I could have used the tube to guide me along one tree without it dragging down my body and i would have fit.

Now that they are on I noticed they just cover my mirror when folded.
So when i run it down the side of something nothing will hit but my outer tube .
Unless im tilted toward the tree then I need a halo bar .

The only performance drawback i am wondering about is
There is a tight obstacle with rocks on both sides at my local park where i end up on both rockers with my tires barely touching to climb over the rocks .
Now that i will make contact a bit higher because of the rails being wider I wonder if my tires drop out far enough to grab.
(time for a slightly bigger tire maybe)
This is however the same obstacle that i ran the rock across my rear door and i know that wont happen now.

I LOVE it for the extra protection but unless your like 5 ft and shorter its pretty much worthless as a step in .

On the step out you have to like slide your legs over the outer tube ,so if you DD you gotta keep the outer tube clean or your pants will clean it.
Im sure when it gets hot out sliding over that bar in shorts will be fun.

This ended up kinda long lol

Last edited:
I should add that my sliders have the tube that sticks way out. That is the only reason I didn't take BIG door damage last weekend. It can be a pita, but it has its purpose. Also you can park in parking lots and no one can door ding you!

Everyone I see with the TNT stiffeners takes a hole saw and cuts some rosette holes. TNT claims that they are strong enough as is. You will only stitch the outside anyways. If you weld all the way around them they will likely crack off along the HAZ, which is everywhere. If you stitch them some of the parent material has an unaltered area from the heat. MIG is the preferred method from the FSM. You can get in and out with the least amount of heat required to fuse the metals and move on. Depending on what youhave for a welder I'd look at a .030" er70s6 filler with 75/25 mix. FCAW seems to run hotter and leaves a bigger mess.

EDIT: you can also use the tube as a high lift point if you ever need it. You can still do that without, but it is harder and makes a sketchy situation a little sketchier...

Last edited:
Go with the Stage 2 rails, you can use them for getting in and out when needed.I have a wife that loves that part of it, plus it keeps your body(doors) away from rocks better.

If they needed to be 3/16" I would make them that way....only thing it gets you is more weight.

I have access to both a stick and a MIG welder. I was planning to use the MIG for the project, because it's "neater", if that makes sense.

So it sounds like I should go with the stage 2 sliders. Stage 3 is the same tubing, just angled upward for more clearance. I do like the fact that I could use the stage 2s as a step/hi lift point. That would make accessing my roof rack easier too.

Is everyone in agreement that I should MIG weld the sliders to the unibody/stiffener as well instead of bolting it on? I would presume I'd still bolt the pinch seam...

Aye.

The reality is that I am lazy and I hate bolting stuff because it comes loose. I want stuff to stay put while I beat on it!

I beat on my rails and none of my bolts are loose. I have the JCR stage 2 sliders on mine. i plan to weld them rails to the stiffeners as well.

Flexd'frame stiffeners sitting in the garage'XJ

I installed the JCR stage 2 rails b/c the 3's angle up too much for me. The 2's will help shorter folk (my kids) enter and exit your Jeep.

Back