• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep won't move even in neutral...

ScienceguyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Drove the Jeep on Sunday about 10 miles and it seemed fine. Only odd thing I noticed was that it seemed to pop out of 4th gear and maybe chatter a little after I up-shifted but I assumed I just didn't shift thoroughly. Went to go to work Monday morning and it moved about a foot in reverse then just ceased up and wouldn't move in reverse or forward even with the tranny and tcase in neutral... checked the parking brake it was fine, jacked both end up in the air and all the wheels spun freely. Checked the tranny fluid and it was full and the color and viscosity seemed fine. Tcase shifted through all the ranges and I had to put it in 4Lo to get it to move a foot forward to get my garage door to close. Really had to push it hard even in 4Lo to get it to move even to the point of the tires spinning just to get it to move a little. Heard a little clunking or chatter. Clutch seems fine and is newer with new slave. Rebuilt the tcase a few years ago and the Tranny was just rebuilt maybe 5k miles ago but did sit for two years unused but has been in my new jeep for about a year and has seemed great. Anyone ever have anything like this happen to them or have any ideas?? Got it towed tonight to a friends shop, see what he can figure out tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

My bet is that you busted a tcase chain and it bound things up. If the tcase was good and you put it in neutral, the thing should still move if you push/pull it.

Drop the read driveshaft to make sure the rear end isn't the problem. The ring gear could be seized and you could still turn one or the other wheel when they are both up in the air due to the spider gears.

Nope the tranny is fine. Turned out the front, less than one year old, G2 Dana 44 was ceased... Waiting for the 4 wheel parts to tear into it tomorrow and see exactly what's wrong with it. Thanks guys.

Back