• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need opinion on dana 44 upgrade

chopperz

NAXJA Forum User
Im putting a dana 44 in the rear of my jeep and putting a locker and disk brakes. have all the new seals and bearings ect. also going to do some fab work on the shock brakets ect. my question is< If im going to spend the money and do all this work do you think its wise to also put in aftermarket shafts, cause i was just going to use the stock shafts beings i dont crawl with it. Its more of a mud and snow 4x4, hunting ect. If so is pretty much any of the aftermarket brands acceptable. Figured the jeep veterans could best answer this question?

"Worth it " is a cost benefit analysis based on gears/tire size/driving style and other mods to the jeep.

maybe list your plans for the rig?

35s and under I wouldnt really worry about breakage on stock shafts unless you drive like it.

You can easily swap shafts in down the road.

Zj brakes or explorer brakes need the TJ backing plate to put the proper preload on the outer bearings when you do the rear disc swap on the XJ 44.

Or you can use a spacer that teraflex sells and install it on the shafts. No drilling and welding of the retainer plate then. Much easier

By the time I was done with my 44, i realized that I could have purchased a new one with all the features I wanted from G2 or RockJock, for about the same price and slap it in.

There is a false impression that when we buy the overall project in little parts, it's somehow cheaper.

Just start adding an honest list of all you had to buy axles, shafts, brakes, locker, diff cover, rebuild kit, drive shaft shortening, etc. - add to that the hourly payment to the shop (I only have professionals build my axles), and I found myself in new axle territory...

By the time I was done with my 44, i realized that I could have purchased a new one with all the features I wanted from G2 or RockJock, for about the same price and slap it in.

There is a false impression that when we buy the overall project in little parts, it's somehow cheaper.

Just start adding an honest list of all you had to buy axles, shafts, brakes, locker, diff cover, rebuild kit, drive shaft shortening, etc. - add to that the hourly payment to the shop (I only have professionals build my axles), and I found myself in new axle territory...
How many people build their axles all at once?

Most will do a locker, then gears, then shafts, then....

Not sure why you only have professionals build your axles. They are not all that complex except for maybe setting up gears.

IMO, aftermarket shafts are not needed for mud and snow. Keep the stockers in, and find a stock set for spares if you are really worried about it.

I'm finishing up a rebuilt 44 now, and I have WAY over what a new (rebuilt) 44 costs from G2, ECGS, etc. And I'm totally ok with that. Why? Because it's EXACTLY how I want it, and I know no part was overlooked or given the "eh, that looks pretty close, I'd call it good enough" stamp of approval. The only reason I would pay someone else to do work for me, is if I didn't have the time.

As for the shafts, like everyone has said the stock shafts should be plenty strong unless you're driving it ignorantly. Wheel hop and shock loading is what breaks shafts - most of which happens on rocks.

For discs, I'd suggest Explorer rears. Many more pads to choose from than the ZJ's, and you don't have to open up the center hole of the backing plate. Use the tereflex spacers like mentioned, and be sure to press them on your shaft before you put your bearings on. Also, use ZJ rotors instead of Explorer ones. They fit better.

My experience is that with a stock Dana 44 rear in a cherokee, there is always something that will break before the stock axle shafts. i.e. the driveshaft, u-joint or the front dana 30:fuse:.........I run 35" boggers with a Lincoln Locker and it holds up great (off road only). Good luck.

Chopperz,
My Dana 44s are holding up just fine with stock axle shafts, and they have taken 5 years of abuse on 34" LTBs and three trips on 37" Creepy Crawlers. As someone else mentioned, the driveshaft U-Joints seem to go before anything else.

I was going to say something witty and snide, but you are making a good point. Depending on where you are located used axle could be extremely expensive or they could be a dime a dozen. Before attempting to buy all the parts and rebuilding an axle, you need to look at your options. When I look at what I spent then, all I see is that I came out ahead, but what I forget is I was pissed it cost more than 1K in parts for my front axle that I could only sell for $4-500.

Front
JY Dana 44 $250
Detroit $570
TNT Axle Truss $450
Gear Set $200
Install Kit $200
Misc Parts $75
Front Total $1745

Rear
JY Dana 44 $150
spring pads $20
Shock Tabs $25
Brakes $75 (pads, guide pins, fittings, & lines)
LockRight $310
Rear Total $580
Combined Total $2325

Similar G2 Set up:
Front $2619.99
Rear $2146.99
Total $4,766.98

Unfortunately, where I live, a $400 used 44 for a rebuild is a rare find. I've seen people asking upwards of $1000 when geared right with a cheap locker, and getting it.

I also had to use selectable lockers, which are over $800, because of the 242, which I like and wanted to preserve the 4WD High capability...

Back