• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there an easy way to extend bump stops?

travisk

NAXJA Forum User
As you can see from the video, I've got problems with my fenders. It looks like the factory bump stops are quite a ways from doing anything useful and the sheet metal on my XJ is suffering.

Yes, my wheels are a bit offset, but I like the stability. I don't want to trim the fenders any more, as I'm already on some sort of mud flap violation watch list with the local cops.

Is there an easy solution to this that doesn't involve fabricating? I'm not afraid to spend a few bucks for something that works, but I'm a just a semi-competent bolt-on kind of guy.

Jeep_Cherokee_XJ_Spring_Compression.jpg

hockey pucks glued or bolted to the bottom coil bucket

or just buy 4 hockey pucks for $4 compared to $32

travisk, start of with 4 pucks per a side, remove or add as needed

the issue with just hockey pucks is that then you have a bolt sticking up above them that will chew up the stock bumps.

and you will eventually destroy the pucks with the stock bump towers.

the RE units have a recessed hole for the bolt and are a much harder plastic that will hold up a lot better to strikes.

the issue with just hockey pucks is that then you have a bolt sticking up above them that will chew up the stock bumps.

and you will eventually destroy the pucks with the stock bump towers.

the RE units have a recessed hole for the bolt and are a much harder plastic that will hold up a lot better to strikes.
a large masonry bit or a razor blade can also make a recesed hole

and you will eventually destroy the pucks with the stock bump towers

Countersink FTW..

Where can I get pucks for $1 each? Just curious, I've been looking but haven't found any that cheap.
local sproting goods stores have them for a buck used, dicks used to have em cheap but it seems there up to $2 NOW

If you plan on pulling to coils, do it right. Measure how much and go from there. Prothanes will be your best bet. Otherwise, I used pucks with black RTV and they didn't move until I ripped them off with a pry bar when I swapped axles. You can insert them without removing the coils.
If you do use pucks and drill them, a slight countersink will be just fine. ACOS or air bumps work great as well.

Daystar also makes extended bumps that replace the stock bumps, but also require at least partial removal of the coils.

Back