• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 XJ making strange engine noise

helliphinon8

NAXJA Forum User
I'm familiar with engines, but I haven't heard this sound from an engine. It's a squeeking sound like dry hollow metal on metal, not NOT A BELT SQUEAL. I replaced the whole cooling system and water pump a year ago and it started making the noise 3 days after that. At first I thought I over tightened the belt and killed a the tensioner pulley. It's been making this squeaking sound for over a year now and it seems to get worse when its above 70 degrees outside. It makes the noise only over 2,200rpm or when I get on the gas or more than half throttle. If you pm me with your email I can send you a video or an audio clip of what its doing. The water pump was durafail from vatozone and it has clearly failed since its leaking from the weep hole and I can move the pulley with a screwdriver. I can't move the tensioner pulley tho. I know most people will say its the water pump, but it sounds nothing like any video of a bad water pump that grinds and rattles. Mine neither grinds or rattles and It's not a squeeky belt sound. It's not making the typical grinding noise, the thing is, the jeep started making the noise 2 days after replacing the pump. A new belt was installed at the same time too. Any suggestions would be great, Thanks

Sounds like the pump was defective from day one. Could be the pump making the noise from the description.

Does yours have an idler pulley? Might be the bearing in it.

Also check the vibration dampener rubber, it may have gone bad, the big heavy pulley on the crank shaft.

It wasn't the pump for sure. That was the 1st thing I checked. I've been doing more research, it is probably the HB. There is really no rubber patruding but it is dry and cracked, and I've noticed that the HB is wobbling around more than any other pulley. The jeep has lived here in AZ all of its life so this is definitely something to replace.

Replace the water pump. See if the noise goes away.

I'm definitely going to replace the h20 pump since 115+ degree temps are coming in July. But I'm hoping it is the harmonic balancer making the noise. The jeep has 170,000 on the clock so it wouldn't hurt to replace it too.

Whatever you do, stop buying parts from O'Reilly, AutoZone, Advance or any of the other throw away parts stores. I encourage you to buy dealership or name brand parts online to avoid these Chinese part failures, plus you might even avoid lead poisoning, especially if you don't touch your battery terminals made in the US with 100% lead. WTF?? Anyway I plan on buying a Bosch water pump off of Rockauto that is the same price as the durafail from vatozone. Update to come on Monday. Thanks guys!

I bought several of the Bosch water pumps last year, thinking two of my Durapumps (LOL) were going bad, but that was about 9 months ago. I will say the Bosch pumps from Rock auto look like the best built water pumps I have seen for the 4.0s!!!!

I also bought new Crown pulleys for the water pumps, as mine look bent (old, thin pressed metal stampings), and may be loading the bearings at a bad angle on the water pumps!!!

Back