• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front driveline help (large pics)

PhatXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have this sort of weird noise comming from my front end. I've narrowed it down to the front driveline as the only possible culprit.

The question I have, is in the CV joint here, I am able to sort of pull the U-Joint away from the piece that is directly behind it, causing a small gap. Is that supposed to be like that?

You can see it in this pic. I put some red arrows in there, they didn't turn out all that great, but you get the idea.

cv1.jpg

In this photo, you can see where I pused the two back together closing the gap.

cv2.jpg

This pic is just with the CV rotated a bit. My U-Joint is not centered, but I just did that on accident, it will go back to center.

cv4.jpg

The pinion end U-Joint seems to be fine.

cv3.jpg

The CV joint is REALLY loose, and has lots of play in it. It's like it's real limp almost. Plus there's that gap, that I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that or not. Plus that rubber stuff in there is all cracked and worn. I was thinking of having that whole CV overhauled.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys.

I've gone through two of those joints on 2 different jeeps and each time the center part of the joint had dried up and was the problem. I had to have it chopped off and have a new one welded on.

Go to NAPA, and ask for a "centering yoke" for the CV joint. That is the little yoke thing. it has a ball joint and some needle bearings that like to go bad and be noisy. It's kinda difficult to take the thing apart but it can be done. you have to tap both of the joints out at the same time and in the same direction to get it out. just alternate, hit one then hit the other.

Okay, thanks guys. I will probably just take it in and get it rebuilt. We have a shop here that has very reasonable prices. I can instal and set gears, but driveline stuff scares me :D :D

So you guys think that gap and/or worn rubber piece is a bad thing then and could possibly be whats making my noise?

the centering yoke forces the double cardan CV shaft to keep the two u-joints lined up in phase.

if you wanted to, you could bolt that shaft back on, grab a hold of the tube right by the CV end, and wiggle it around. it should not wiggle ;) now imagine that wiggle as the shaft just dancing around at highway speed.

that's hard on the front output bearing in the transfer case, and I suggest that you check it for slop also.

rebuilding the CV joint is pretty easy too. if you can set gears, you can rebuild a fawking CV joint!

Yep, looks like it is time to rebuild that sucka. CV joints are a pain in the ass. Unless you are into frustration, I would have somebody do it. Especially if you can get it done fairly reasonablely.

Anyone have a part # from Napa for that centering yoke? I'm wanting to rebuild 3 of those shafts... No, I haven't gone into Napa yet, just wondering if anyone had a part # on hand. :)

CheapXJ said:
the centering yoke forces the double cardan CV shaft to keep the two u-joints lined up in phase.

if you wanted to, you could bolt that shaft back on, grab a hold of the tube right by the CV end, and wiggle it around. it should not wiggle ;) now imagine that wiggle as the shaft just dancing around at highway speed.

that's hard on the front output bearing in the transfer case, and I suggest that you check it for slop also.

rebuilding the CV joint is pretty easy too. if you can set gears, you can rebuild a fawking CV joint!

I have done all that Ryan, nothing in there really wiggles. Where I have my problems isn't on the highway, it's when I put that front shaft under load. Like sand for instance. It won't do in on the road in 4wd, only somewhere where that front shaft has some stress on it.

I'll just rebuild it and see what happens.

that much slop and it doesn't wiggle?!? :eek:

I'm surprised, but yes, putting torque into the shaft with a worn centering yoke WILL give ya issues.

and if ya run lotsa sand, grease it often ;)

btw ECKSJAY... the part number @ napa is NUJ607

check the ujoints in the axles they dry out and make that type of sound

Back