• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone Have a Hydraulic Press I Can Borrow Tonight?

Monkey55

NAXJA Forum User
I need to press a water pump and my ball joint press is just not cutting it.

I don't need to take it with me, just use it at your place for a few minutes. I don't think it'll take that long.

Here is what I need to do. (Not my pic.)

I need to move that round thing down the pump shaft.

waterpump002.jpg

I'm in Lakewood.

Thanks,
E

Last edited:
Are you taking it off, or putting it on?

Last time I had to do something like that, I put the inner part (water pump and shaft in this case) in a snowbank, then used a propane torch to heat the outer part (the flange in this case) until it was several hundred degrees. Then I used a piece of pipe and a large vise to press them together quickly before the temperatures equalized enough to shrink the flange in place. If you substituted dry ice for the snowbank, you can probably slide the flange right on by hand.

I took the parts off (in my case it was the splined hub for a 92 Honda Accord front wheel bearing job) by having a friend apply snow from the same snowbank to the hub while I used a blowtorch on the wheel bearing races and pried them outward with a hammer and a chisel. Worked perfectly.

The temperature difference trick works wonders, and is probably actually better for the water pump than using a press.

The flange is already on the pump. I need to move it down the shaft, closer to the pump itself.

I can try using a torch. However, I'm thinking it might expand the shaft along with the flange.

E

He might get lucky tomorrow and will find a snowbank at about 4000 feet here in Socal. :roflmao::moon:

I know he won't, that was just my ghetto method :roflmao:

A piece of dry ice in one hand and a torch in the other may be your best friend, I was honestly shocked when a handful of snow and a propane torch got as much done as it did on my problem. It was more of a "well, we drove this thing here, so we're either sleeping on old bench seats in the shop man cave and fixing it tomorrow, or fixing this now, so what the hell" hail mary than anything else, and it worked perfectly :gee:

Ok.

I just got in from the garage.

I tried the heat thing and it worked. It just needed a little bit.

Thanks Man..

E

Back