• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np242 with lunchbox?

njxj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I'm buying a 88 xj with a np 242 TC in it. iv been reading alot of fourms about the diffrence between the np 242 and np 231. every so often someone posts that if you have a locker in your front axle it should be selctiable but never goes into why. the xj im buying have a aussie lunchbox in front. im wondering why a lunchbox locking upfront is bad for the np 242.

ok so that extra option i have with the np 242 is basicly useless now with the lunch box in it. only time i can use the 4x4 part time or full time would be on the trails then. thank you this was helpful

The t case will still be able to differentiate the front and rear output so it won't exactly be like part time but basically you do lose the function of driving your Jeep around like a Subaru.

As I said some people still drive that way so I guess its up to you if you feel comfortable with the front end locking and unlocking on the street.

Might just be me, but I think a 242 with a pair of LSDs would be awesome. Not sure I'd do auto lockers with one though.

If the road is icy, 4 part time is fine, otherwise who needs 4wd on the street? My xj had a 242 and I never once had a desire to put it in 4 full time? I think the disco is a horrible idea, swap in a weaker 2 piece shaft, so when it breaks at least you still have 3 wheel drive? I had a spartan up front and it worked great. If road conditions are bad enough you need 4wd, the locker up front won't hurt anything. The locker in the rear however can lead to lots of slideways action.

Kastein, my next build is gonna be a forged stroker 2dr ax-15 242 w/ lsds on both ends.

Kastein, my next build is gonna be a forged stroker 2dr ax-15 242 w/ lsds on both ends.
that thing is going to be a holy terror :wow:

"If the road is icy, 4 part time is fine, otherwise who needs 4wd on the street? My xj had a 242 and I never once had a desire to put it in 4 full time? I think the disco is a horrible idea, swap in a weaker 2 piece shaft, so when it breaks at least you still have 3 wheel drive? I had a spartan up front and it worked great. If road conditions are bad enough you need 4wd, the locker up front won't hurt anything. The locker in the rear however can lead to lots of slideways action."

This may be true for some parts of the country, but here in Montana, there are lots of times when the roads are part icy with other parts bare pavement. The full-time 4WD is perfect for those situations. It's also nice to have 4WD to help get going at traffic lights on hills, from stop signs on hills, etc.

I agree though...putting in a disco axle is a horrible idea.

I used to have an auto locker in the back and a truetrac up front and it was great the ont time I drove it in some light snow. Now that I have auto lockers all around the full time is useless to me. For the most part anyway.

Anyone want to trade me my 21 spline 242 w/ SYE for a 231 w/SYE?

I used to have an auto locker in the back and a truetrac up front and it was great the ont time I drove it in some light snow. Now that I have auto lockers all around the full time is useless to me. For the most part anyway.

Anyone want to trade me my 21 spline 242 w/ SYE for a 231 w/SYE?

I don't believe that is an attractive deal for anybody.

That was sarcasm there. And considering the tone of this thread I would beg to differ about that trade. And it is definitely a very attractive deal.....

For me!

Last edited:
I meant I as sarcasm. But if someone said hey that is a good deal and asked me about it I would be interested. You're reading way too far into this.

the xj im getting has a ford 8.8 rear with lsd and dana 30 with aussie lunchbox up front so the full time funtion is useless for me now? im not too worryed about using the full time funtion but here in NJ we been getting some crazy weather the past couple years would be a nice thing to use if it starts getting hairy out. im already saving up to get air lockers for front and rear and a on board air system

Back