• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

00XJ LP3 to HP30 Swap ... Help?

Miller88

NAXJA Forum User
So, my 00XJ has a bad front pinion bearing and is in need of rebuild. I can't afford to regear both front and back to 4.10s, so I don't want to be putting money into a LP 30.

I searched online for a swap .. .b ut all I could find was making a non-XJ axle fit under the front.

Also, the extreme driveline angle caused by the 3.5'' lift, transfer case drop and LP axle caused me to kill a front driveshaft and eventually the pinion bearing. My fault for driving with the driveline vibes.

So I have a 2000 LP with separate rotors and hub bearings.

If I were to get a LP 30 out of a 97+ XJ (would have bigger U joints, right?) ... what would be the process? I'm assuming:
- Disco Control Arms
- Remove sway bar endlinks
- Disconnect steering and trac bar
- Pull off calipers

It's my understanding that 99- had composite rotors and hubs; different than my 2000 setup. Would I be able to get my wheel bearings and rotors to work on an older knuckle?

How hard is this swap?

Hopefully I can get a font axle and a SYE kit before too long so I can have a fully functional Jeep again!

TIA
Miller88

The swap is a piece of cake!
Removing the trac bar from the axle side will probably be the hardest, especially living in an area where they use salt alot. The bolt is a high grade and likes to seize to the nut on the opposite side in the axle mount. Had to break 2 track bar bolts off with an impact to remove them!

I am almost sure the hubs are identical, so as for the bearings they should be the same.

Swapping an axle is easy if you can run a floor jack.

Dana 30
- 1989-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints.
- All 1995-2001 have 5-297x u-joints.
- All others have 5-260x u-joints

Read this -> D30 bearing unit hub/brake rotor interchange

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Tim!

So I should be able to get any HP 95+ axle, put on my bearings and rotors and be good with my calipers.

It normally wouldn't be a big deal, but my wheel bearings, calipers and rotors are all new.

Cool. Now to try to figure out how to wrestle one out of a junked Cherokee

Swap over your axle shafts also, the later axles use the bigger u-joints, 760x if I'm not mistaken. Not sure what year is the cut-off, somewhere around 96+?

Lastly, bring a buddy when picking up the replacement, these are heavy.

Good luck

All you need is the housing and gears, swap everything else from your current axle. It'll all swap in, just avoid CAD housing on earlier axles. I also noticed the earlier axles had beefier stock brackets ... My '89 Limited HP30 housing is considerably more stout in the bracketry than my stock '00 LP30. The '89 bracketry is noticeably thicker.

Thanks for the link Tim!

So I should be able to get any HP 95+ axle, put on my bearings and rotors and be good with my calipers.

It normally wouldn't be a big deal, but my wheel bearings, calipers and rotors are all new.

Cool. Now to try to figure out how to wrestle one out of a junked Cherokee

Yards around here use a cutting torch and just cut it out of the vehicle for you in about 30 seconds.

If they don't do that there, i'd recommend a battery powered sawzall and a lot of blades. Would be killer trying to unbolt one from a jeep in a JY.

Taking the axle out of mine - is there anything I need to look out for? I was chatting with someone who just did a HP 30 swap on his TJ - he was saying that there is a retainer clip that kept turning on the upper control arm bolts?

For the price of an electric impact and a new axle, I can rebuild the LP30!

For the price of an electric impact and a new axle, I can rebuild the LP30!

But it still would be low pinion.

I pull axles all the time with hand tools. Use a hacksaw on the control arms.

But it still would be low pinion.

I pull axles all the time with hand tools. Use a hacksaw on the control arms.

Then I'll have to pay for a set of hacksaw'd control arms haha

That may be the easiest way to get it out of the jeep.

How heavy is a front axle? Will it fit in the back of the Cherokee?

I'm going to have a few people helping me pull it out, but when I get to my parents, will I be able to get it out of the Jeep myself?

I figure I might as well replace the ball joints on it

And I'll be paying twice - I'm going to 4.10s at some point. The HP axles are a bit stronger too, right? I'm only on 31's right now, but eventually I'll be on 32x9.5s.

Axles are about 200 lbs. An axle will fit inside.

How heavy is a front axle? Will it fit in the back of the Cherokee?

I'm going to have a few people helping me pull it out, but when I get to my parents, will I be able to get it out of the Jeep myself?

IMAG0525.jpg

yep it'll fit ... that'a D30 and an 8.25 in the pic. loaded and removed solo (at 6" lift and 32's) ... wasn't easy but it's doable, woulda been way easier stock height though. But, I also carry heavy loads all the time so I'm used to this kinda dumbass tricks. Getting thm in is th harder part, I recommend a nice section of plywood to help it slide in and out.

Yup should fit. As indicated should be a straightforward swap, just soak the bolts on the one you are swapping off of(vehicle the HP is being put into), with some PB or WD or Kroil. Makes getting all the bolts out less of a pain, and faster especially with an air or electric impact gun. Now if I can secure the lift for mine, I will go with the HP that I am hoping to get locally so I can lock it and put upgraded shafts in it and wheel it.

Jeff

I've had way more than 500 pounds in the back of mine.

The jeep was steering "funny" the last few weeks. Looks like my lower ball joints are set up. Pulled the tie rod off to adjust the toe and couldn't move the knuckle. Another reason to get a new axle!

I've already started hitting what I can with PB. I don't want to ruin thye bushings, so I can't go too crazy with it.

Back