• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj Window Issue

Trixie03

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Here lately we have been having some power window problems with my 2000 xj limited. The fuse is all good but now i can't get the windows to go down at all. I got the driver window to go down once last week but that was it. Was wondering if anybody else has had any issues like this with their jeeps? Would like to have working windows again.

When they are working, i can only function them with the doors closed. 90% of the time I can only function them from the drivers control panel. Also when I press the buttons the lights on the control panel go out.

If anyone can help me solve my electrical gremlins I would GREATLY appreciate it. Spring and summer are coming and no a/c and no windows sounds like an awful idea.

Thanks,
Suzi

Pull the rubber grommet from the door side of the driver's jam. If you pull the jam side it is a bitch to get back on. Look for broken wires. I had a couple broken in mine there (that fixed the pass rear window). I push on the flat spot between the driver's window switch and the power mirror and it lets the passenger use their switch.:D I haven't gotten into the door yet.

Inspect the entire drivers door wire harness for failed wire splices, chafed insulation, and damaged or cut wires. Check the drivers door master control panel for failed solder joints, loose wire plugs, or consider replacing it altogether.

Drivers door wire harness and master control panel issues are very common.

Sounds like a harness related issue. in my 98 both front windows do diddly squat and can hear motors im in need of replacing or filing down plastic o rings that attach to the regulator.. keep us all informed on out come

Pull the rubber grommet from the door side of the driver's jam. If you pull the jam side it is a bitch to get back on. Look for broken wires. I had a couple broken in mine there (that fixed the pass rear window). I push on the flat spot between the driver's window switch and the power mirror and it lets the passenger use their switch.:D I haven't gotten into the door yet.

Had to fix mine this way too!

Well we tore into the wiring yesterday to fix the window problem. Turns out we had a couple wires that were completely broke in two. Got those fixed but now need to look at why the window switches on the passenger front and both rear doors don't work. Is there a wire in the harness to the driver door that cuts the power to the other doors window switches?

Give this a try, move the window lock button around binding it against top or sides of the opening for the button. while your moving it, have someone else try the window switches on the other doors. my 00 & 98 both have the same problem, but when I do that it seems to make them start working again. this trick has kept me from having to chase gremilns in the door for a couple years now.

I'm pretty sure they all do this sooner or later. I've been dealing with mine for years. Driver door controls always work so I just push the button for whoever is riding along...

Well we tore into the wiring yesterday to fix the window problem. Turns out we had a couple wires that were completely broke in two. Got those fixed but now need to look at why the window switches on the passenger front and both rear doors don't work. Is there a wire in the harness to the driver door that cuts the power to the other doors window switches?
Give THIS a try. The child lock often causes the problem.

x4 on the window lock out switch. Mine went out under warranty, but has been good since. When its dark play with the lock out switch while looking at the passenger door's window switch. You may see the light in the switch flicker. When its lit it has power.

Jeeps are notorious for window issues.....my 2001 XJ's rear passenger window will roll down but as soon as you try and roll it up it just doesn't work.....It will roll up about 1" every 10-15 minutes....My guess is the motor is giving out so I'll need a new regulator....

Back