• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle play (video)

Khary23

NAXJA Forum User
I have been getting this clunk from the right rear when making left turns or going over bumps. I have gone under the jeep checked for loose parts and everything is tight with no play. I took the right rear wheel off today to see if there might be something going on with the brakes and have found that there is a lot of movement in the axle. I took a video with the hopes that someone could help me diagnose the root problem. Thanks in advance.

BTW I apologies for the shitty video quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T-WR3eA46E&feature=youtu.be

Specs
1999 XJ
4.25" lift
31" tires
8.25 rear axle

Last edited:
looks pretty normal to me for a c-clipped axle. My 8.25 had that much play after it was recently rebuilt, there needs to be a little wiggle room to get the c-clip to fit on the shaft. Its kind of hard to tell from the video though, are you pushing and pulling it in and out? or pushing it front and rear?

looks pretty normal to me for a c-clipped axle. My 8.25 had that much play after it was recently rebuilt, there needs to be a little wiggle room to get the c-clip to fit on the shaft. Its kind of hard to tell from the video though, are you pushing and pulling it in and out? or pushing it front and rear?

Hi XGarfX,

Thanks for the quick reply. I was pushing it in and pulling it out.

That is a normal amount of in and out play. Check for loose u-bolts, failed shock bushings, failed spring bushings, and loose exhaust components.

That is a normal amount of in and out play. Check for loose u-bolts, failed shock bushings, failed spring bushings, and loose exhaust components.

I was under there shaking everything and it all seemed tight. Is there another way I can check the shock bushings? The leaf spring bushing were replaced this past summer so I don't think that's the problem, but I could be wrong.

I had bad clunking coming from the right rear, ignored it for a year or so before I finally had a place with a garage. Pass rear spring bushing was absent. Apparently my exhaust was aimed directly at it, and all that heat just ate up the rubber.

I had bad clunking coming from the right rear, ignored it for a year or so before I finally had a place with a garage. Pass rear spring bushing was absent. Apparently my exhaust was aimed directly at it, and all that heat just ate up the rubber.

same thing happened to my brothers xj with the xj boomerang shackles...just melted away until he replaced it with a poly bushing..hasn't had a problem since

Thats normal for the 8.25 and not a problem. I would look at the exhaust hitting the shock on that side and also the front spring bushing on the passenger side rear spring. The springs get loose and slide to one side of the hanger or the other and hit the hanger itself when cornering one way or the other.

Back