• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 removal. TC linkage HELP!!!

scot4free

NAXJA Forum User
So, new to Jeeps here. Ready enough to drop so I can replace a busted flexplate.
I struggles with those crappy cooler line "qucik connects". Simply busted them apart. I still see orings in the tranny, do I need Dorman 800-750 or 800-714?

Now the issue that is a major roadblock for me.

How do I disengage the Linkage for the Transfer case to the tranny.
The nut to the actual TC was easy. But it's the large bracket on the tranny and floorpan that is confusing me.

The large zinc-ish finish braket is bolted to the tranny with pretty inaccessible nuts.
I've tried prying at location A. This seems reasonable, since it is a single connection point. But I dont' want to break anything. Should I pry harder?

I think Loc B would not do much.

The loc C hold the other half to the floorpan. That seems like too much to remove...

HELP!!!!
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/485968_4303732566076_291537328_n.jpg

Last edited:
Dang! This post encouraged me to pry harder, with a 20 inch prybar. Got it out!
Don't know how it'll go back in, but guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Ok. So I did pry hard and got it loose from the zinc bracket. Should I replace the plastic bushing while the tranny is out? Or can they be reused? Thanks.

Ok. So I did pry hard and got it loose from the zinc bracket. Should I replace the plastic bushing while the tranny is out? Or can they be reused? Thanks.

Replace them. If they are worn out or torn they can cause the linkage to not completely shift the t-case and it can pop out of gear.

Back