• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard starting?

i973eat1

NAXJA Forum User
Could a bad rear o2 sensor cause my 99' XJ 4.0L not want to start easily? I can crank it over just fine, but it seems like it doesn't wanna start...

My other ideas...
Bad fuel pump
Bad Crank Position Sensor

Anything else maybe?

rear O2 has nothing to do with it, its only function is to minitor the cat. try cycling tye key on and off a few times without starting it. then try to start it. if it fires right up, you probably have a bad check valve and the fuel lines are losing pressure when you shut it off.

Get a second person to crank it, and pull and check one plug wire (if you have them, on the 99?) for spark.

NO spark is usually a bad CPS.

Scan it for codes.

Check the fuel rail sample port for fuel, and check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge at the port on the fuel rail, should be 49 psi.

And, the O2 sensors are not used to start the engine.

Lastly, if you have spark and fuel, try holding the gas peddle to the floor, do not pump the peddle, and crank. If it starts, then you have a leaking fuel injector dumping fuel, and flooding it.

Back