• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GlueNTape's Return to TSF Run - 3/2/12

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
When Dave posted up this run, I knew I couldn't pass up the chance to wheel with him again. So after snoozing through my alarms Saturday morning, I was finally woken by a random phone call from BPB. I tossed the essentials in the Jeep, grabbed some lunch, and hit the road just in time to make the rendezvous.

Total of eight rigs for the day.
IMG_0085.jpg

After the usual morning tasks and some BS'ing, we set off to jump on Powerline.
IMG_0087.jpg

Powerline took us to Cedar Tree. Nick multi tasking.
IMG_0089.jpg

Winding through the trees.
IMG_0092.jpg

Eventually we got to the iconic Cedar Tree.
IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

After finishing Cedar Tree no bubbles no troubles, we cruised over to Firebreak 5. My junk, photo cred to Rockbilly.
IMG_0109.jpg

Bronzewyrm finessing his way up.
IMG_0113.jpg

GlueNTape on the right side. Kind of hard to say which side is harder now.
IMG_0116.jpg

Rest of the group at the bottom.
IMG_0118.jpg

RedJeep2.0 getting it done.

TooBig giving the right side a go. Without an operational front locker he couldn't get the front to pull enough. Ray ended up opting for the cable from Nick.
IMG_0122.jpg

Rockbilly heading up the left side. A little too much pepper on the throttle ended up taking out his driver front u-joint. I believe this was John's third time out with us, so FB5 in these conditions definitely had an intimidation factor. Just remember to head into an obstacle calm, and use some finesse Bronzewyrm style. :thumbsup:
IMG_0125.jpg

more to come...

Once up top, John started tearing into the front end. Anytime you break a shaft on a D30 it's got to come out right then and there. Otherwise you risk the ears binding and taking out the ball joints too. If you don't have a spare shaft, shove a rag in the tube, and just run the stub shaft to support the unit-bearing to get you home.

In our case Nick had a spare shaft with unit bearing already installed. John plugged away at it, and had the new shaft installed pretty quick.
IMG_0128.jpg

Onto the top hill climb on the first section. This has actually gotten pretty difficult. Lots of loose diff hanging rocks, holes, and slick conditions.
IMG_0131.jpg

Bronzewyrm trying to claw his way through the peanut butter covered rocks.
IMG_0134.jpg

Said peanut butter mud.
IMG_0139.jpg

Justin working it.
IMG_0145.jpg

Then there was Curtis with his 44" Boggers... nuff said.

Once we finished the second section we cruised over to Hogsback on the lower road due to the upper trails being snowed in. We still hit a small portion of snow for a ways.
IMG_0147.jpg

Bronzewyrm crawling up Hogsback.
IMG_0149.jpg

Rockbilly
IMG_0151.jpg

After we all finished Hogsback, we headed down to Archers via Rocky Uphill bypass. While making the turn into the V-notch, Nick blew a front bead.
IMG_0155.jpg

He got it reseated in no time, and we were back on our way. We then headed up Rock Uphill. Bronzewyrm got caught between a rock and another rock with the rear axle. 8274 to the rescue.
IMG_0157.jpg

After we got John going again, Rockbilly spit out his rear drive shaft. With no spare, and an open front, we agreed the best solution would be turning him back down hill. Dave and Justin decided to head out with him since it was getting late in the day.

Those of us remaining pressed on up Rocky Uphill. Slick but not all that difficult. We ran the bypass back down, and then rallied to Waterfall via Archers.

Nick and I had two solid runs up it. I was actually shocked when I realized I had the line on the first shot, and was able to crawl right up. Video of Nick's run.

Bronzewyrm gave it a hell of a go, tried a number of different line, but it just wasn't his day. Win some, lose some, but he knew when to call it, and not push his luck.
IMG_0164.jpg

Ray also gave it a valiant effort, but with a non working front locker he couldn't get the front end to pull himself up.
IMG_0172.jpg

After John and Ray's attempts Curtis decided to call it as well. At that point we called it a day and headed back to Rogers.
IMG_0173.jpg

After doing our after wheeling chores, we stopped by Coleman's 9N for some burgers and shakes. This is quickly becoming a tradition, and definitely hits the spot after a long day on the trail.

I had a good time, and enjoyed the group we had. Looking forward to the next run.

Back